K-Tec

Neighbour's Light

More
16 years 2 months ago #63009 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
Gather as much literature as you can about the light pollution problem and post it to him.
Might have an effect.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #64429 by blackpig
Replied by blackpig on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
Get a balloon and fill it with black paint and throw it at the light. If he whines get another one and throw it at him.

I have a neighbour with a "security" light that switches itself on and off at the whim of some sociopathic electronic device. When it lights up it can probably be seen from Jupiter.

It's probably about 2000 watts. I hope he can't afford the ESB bill.

More
16 years 2 months ago #64430 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Neighbour's Light

it might give him the experience of having a powerful light shining in on him in an annoying manner. I haven't seen him yet, but if he says nothing I'll keep doing it until he confronts me and then I might get that light moved

Not sure what else you can do besides try talking to him again, all he has to do is point it down, explain what this is import to you and even suggest you can give him a hand at it as only you know what you want. In his mind it might be a big deal, tell him its very simple.

Short of that go sneak into his back some night and cut the power to the light, most electricians don't do a good job of concealing the cable, just make sure you cut through the blue one! :lol:

I suggest this in gest, don't blame me if you get cought and arrested.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 2 months ago #64431 by whyulittle
Replied by whyulittle on topic Re: Neighbour's Light

I suggest this in gest, don't blame me if you get cought and arrested.

Or electrocuted. :)

More
16 years 2 months ago #64444 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
Seriously, we all have to contend with light pollution to different degrees. I have a near by football field who train a couple of nights a week - so I have to wait till after 10pm. My neighbour behind me installed a sodium light high on the rear of his house last year, so i have let a privit hedge grow higher at the end of my garden....but, the winds of change are upon us. I have read that there is now a growing awareness of light pollution and I would not be surprised if legislation appeared to curb some excessive night time light. As some of the articles commenting on this matter have said - probably more a question of energy conservation, than improving the life of the astronomer. Either way "the future looks dark".....hopefully

declan

More
16 years 2 months ago #64445 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Neighbour's Light

Get a balloon and fill it with black paint and throw it at the light. If he whines get another one and throw it at him

I can already see the tabloid headlines:

"Berserk Astronomer sentenced for vandalism and attempted grevious bodily harm."

This is NOT the way to go.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds