Successful Eclipse Observation from Yiwu, China

• eclipsedan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #72079 by eclipsedan
Hi all,

I was part of a group who observed Totality from near Yiwu, China. Despite having the best climate statistics, it would seem that we had some of the worst problems with clouds.

Despite seeing all the partial phase, things clouded over with only 7 minutes to go until totality. Most of our group started sprinting from the cloud. I abandonned my equipment (I've never run so far from my 600L unattended) with about 4 minutes to go. Thankfully we found a clear spot and with 15 seconds to go the cloud dissipitated. I didn't get to use my big lens as the sun had moved out of view and I didn't want to waste my time getting it back. Instead I simply tripped the automated wideangle behind me and enjoyed the experience.

www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsechaser/2737497145/sizes/l/

Here is a shot of me and my girlfriend, Mary for whom it was her first (but I suspect not last) eclipse. About 3/4 of a kilometer to our right was Ian Boyle Harper who - not being tied down with equipment - had led the charge from the cloud. This was his second eclipse.

It was a wonderfully dramatic eclipse but next time I think I'll skip the adrenaline rush and take perfectly clear skies. Mary shot a video with her digicam which is a wonderful momento. It captures, curses and all, our dilemma of whether to run left, right or just stay put. I'm sure it'll get played at an SDAS meeting sometime soon!

All the best,

Daniel Lynch
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by eclipsedan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #72084 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Successful Eclipse Observation from Yiwu, China
Talk about having a last minute adventure and getting lucky at the same time Daniel, thanks for sharing!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 9 months ago #72088 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Successful Eclipse Observation from Yiwu, China
Congrats on the successful eclipse trip Daniel and great photo, well composed.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
15 years 9 months ago #72089 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Successful Eclipse Observation from Yiwu, China
Interesting experience Daniel! :)

I see Mercury and Venus also got eclipsed in your image... ;)

More
15 years 9 months ago #72091 by Calibos
Wow!!

All the images of this I have seen so far have been closeups or composites. This is the first pic I've seen which shows a widefield naked eye view. I almost feel like I was there crouching down.

No wonder primative peoples were scared out of their minds by such an awesome spectacle!!

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

• eclipsedan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 9 months ago #72100 by eclipsedan
Here's one where you can see them both...

www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsechaser/2739274374/sizes/l/

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds