K-Tec

back to basics + perfect skies = increased motivation!

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 6 months ago #74212 by fguihen
Ive seen a few posts from folks here heading out just with the auld eyeballs to do a bit of
observing. Im generally totally obsessed with having my gear out for observing and rarely
stop and just have a good look at the skies unless theres a few inches of glass reflecting
the image onto my retina. Having returned back home to Roscommon for the weekend, and for
once having absolutely pristine skies, but having no scope with me I decided rather than
waste the night brooding angrily over the thought of my scope in a box in Dublin, having only been used twice this year, Id be productive and just head out with a pair of bressier binos.
Its unbelieveable how enjoyable the night sky is when clear and when theres absolutely no
light pollution. Roscommon still has the clearest skies ive ever viewed. The Milky way is a
beautiful streak across the sky. Its really amazing to think our galaxy is so visible to us
from the inside.

The first thing I realized is that my knowledge of the constellations has diminished with the
many months of clouds preventing observing that generally keeps the knowledge fresh in my
mind. Im startomg to remember the night sky layout but slowly. Like my gear, any atlas's I
own to help me Identify objects and constellations are in Dublin also so Il only mention the
objects I could Identify.

M31 Andromeda.
You really have no idea how visible this galaxy is from pristine skies. Its visible without
averted vision or any optical aid. not just the core but the dust lanes, although its just a
haze. I was supprised though, as when I first saw this galaxy 2 years ago, it was barely
visible to me even under perfect conditions. now it absolutely jumps out of the sky. its
massive. with binos its even more impressive.the tiniest amout of defination is visible in
the dust lanes. Incredible, just with standard binos.

M33 Triangulum.
This is one of those "seen it, but only just" objects. maby its due to not being fully dark
adapted. i was expecting a little more as its apparent magnitude is bright enough that it
should give some sort of shape through binos.

M44 Orion Nebula
Again, as with M31 this jumps out of the sky even with the naked eye. using binos and averted
vision you can see incredible detail, the trapezium was very vivid with 4 stars visible after
10 mins dark adaptation.

M1 Crab Nebula.
I searched for ages for this, and im still unsure if i saw it. it was just barely a "seen it"
but i think i got it. was a little disapointed with this one.

M44
This cluster is quite incredible through binos, although it was not far above the horizon at
time of viewing. it really looks like a ball of stars, 3 dimensional, not at all 2
dimensional as it sometimes appears under less than perfect skies.

M36, M37 and M38
Came across these by accident while looking for M1. Couldnt identify them until i realized i
was looking in auriga. No individual stars resolved, just 3 cloudy patches in the sky.

M81
Im not lying, i swear! I remember this through a telescope last December and was sure it
would be somewhat visible through binos. As with most of the faint fuzzies, it was just
barely a "seen it" object but to see it through binos is still an achievement.

There were a number of objects i found by just scanning the sky, but with no atlas to
identify them I wont bother to mention them. Hopefully we will get enough clear nights to
allow me to rebuild my knowledge of the night sky. One of the main things Ive learned from
tonights observing session is that you can read all the books and magazines out there, but
there is no substitue for expirience. just thinking back 2 years ago to the small amount of
detail i could gleam from a faint smug that is M31 two years ago, versus the detail I can see
now, is a thought that will motivate me to get off my backside more often and get out the
binos, even if its in Dublin and only for 20 mins, so long as the skies are clear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #74214 by Keith g
I enjoyed reading that post :)

Its unbelieveable how enjoyable the night sky is when clear and when theres absolutely no
light pollution. Roscommon still has the clearest skies ive ever viewed. The Milky way is a
beautiful streak across the sky. Its really amazing to think our galaxy is so visible to us
from the inside

Agrre with everything you say there, like roscommon, cavan had quite SUPERB skies last night, I too had my gear out trying to do som photography, but I had too many problems, so instead i just got the binos and started scanning, the amount of objects that were visible naked eye were too many to mention, however the anadromeda galsxy looked just that - a galaxy, not just the core :)

A great night under that northerly airstream

Keith..
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Keith g.

More
15 years 6 months ago #74215 by lunartic_old
Nice one Fintan, it just goes to show how valuable binos are, not just for a grab n go, but for serious observing.

I notice you didn't mention M45, perhaps the best bino object in the sky, no doubt you saw it and just forgot to mention it.

One other object you should aim your binos at is the Coathanger Cluster, well worth it.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
15 years 6 months ago #74216 by carlobeirnes
Hi Fintan,

Very nice report mate. It was very cloudy in Balbriggan all night so I went to see the new James Bond great film if you can keep up with the story. Came out of the cinema still cloudy. So went to the pub for a few Beers:silly: : blink:.

Carl.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
15 years 6 months ago #74217 by lunartic_old

So went to the pub for a few Beers .

Head cloudy this morning.:laugh:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 6 months ago #74219 by fguihen
Your right Paul, M45 was one of the first ones, and last objects i viewed. I was trying ( even though i know its not possible) to view some nebulosity around the sisters.

I about a thumbs width above Orion between betleguise and bellatrix there looked like a small cluster of 3-4 stars. can someone advise what this is? cant find any info online, and can only do so much searching over diallup.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds