K-Tec

back to basics + perfect skies = increased motivation!

More
15 years 6 months ago #74225 by philiplardner
fguihen wrote:

I about a thumbs width above Orion between betleguise and bellatrix there looked like a small cluster of 3-4 stars. can someone advise what this is? cant find any info online, and can only do so much searching over diallup.

Sounds like Meissa - the head of Orion and two other bright stars: SAO112956 mag4.09 and SAO112914 mag4.38. They form part of a nice little cascade of dimmer stars.

Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #74226 by Keith g
Yeah ,a noce group them stars, think they are collectively known as Collinder 69

Keith..

More
15 years 6 months ago #74246 by EPK
M33 is actually relatively faint...it's a large object but once the total surface brightness has been divided by that area there is little to see at all.
I've glimpsed it with the naked eye a couple of times, but it is one of the most disappointing sights in the sky...and M1, which it resembles as a faint milky fuzz, isn't much better unless you've a good bit of aperture focused on it.

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

More
15 years 6 months ago #74308 by Seanie_Morris
This thread has been quite an enjoyable read, thanks for starting it Fintan! Your 'born again' descriptions in the first post made me smile!

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 6 months ago #74314 by fguihen
Thanks Seanie et al. Born again is the best way to describe it. with all the clouds this year my interest had wained, having only magazines and ideas of purchasing expensive equipment to keep me motivated. All I needed was a nice clear night and dark skies!

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds