Remote observations

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #5871 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Remote observations
Liam - totally agree with you on the observing bit.

There have been a good few articles in recent years about amateur astronomers who have robotic systems or very advanced home setups for eg supernova or asteroid hunting - most are automated but the majority appear to be in the owners' back yards. There was one I saw recently with 3 light buckets (12" reflectors at least) mounted on 3 (yes, 3) Paramounts! Add in all the electronics, cameras, laptops/pc's etc and I reckon it must've cost at least 100K sterling! Still, the guy found many supernovas even before the space agency/academic systems did!

One thing clear from most of these articles though was that the owners recognised the need for visual observing - as you say a Hubble pic isn't in the same league as a 'live' view. However, I think it extremely unlikely that you'll ever get a 'live' view of many objects out there - the deep sky objects or nebulas - eg Horsehead.

Not a bad idea about IFAS funding something. I think Dunsink might be a contender. If not that, then perhaps everyone chipping in a few quid might get an observatory going. A CCD system at Dunsink would allow internet broadcast of live images and with CCD, you can reduce skyglow. And of course, since its internet based, its accessible to anyone with internet access - regardless of where they live. the situation at Dunsink seems to be unclear at this time - so maybe a club-funded project situated somewhere neutral?

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5872 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Remote observations
Lads,
I wish IFAS could build such a system but I just cant see who is going to pay for it ? besides, some clubs already have observatories which they run themselves, mind you, we dont!
Where would you put it, who would be incharge/run it, what if you want to visit it and do observing while others 50 miles away might want to do remote photography through it,?? this is why you buy your own scope IMHO, so you can do what you like.
Some clubs (like us) have a club scope, ours is a 13" dob and anyone who is a member can freely take it for as long as they like, basically until another person wants it.

As for the "live view", you cant look at the orion nebula or M13 for the first time through as 12" or 16" scope and tell me its not amazing!
or slap on an oxygem3 filter and follow the intricate whirls of the veil nebula in cygnus. :P
The horsehead is an extremely faint object, there is alot in the sky much brighter that it, although I've heard it can be glimpsed in a 12 inch scope under the right conditions and filters ????.

I remember the article regardin teh 3 big SCTs which are used for hunting supernoivas, they were also on the sky at night a while back, fabulous stuff. 8)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #5879 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Remote observations

Lads,
I wish IFAS could build such a system but I just cant see who is going to pay for it ? besides, some clubs already have observatories which they run themselves, mind you, we dont!

Dave,
you're hardly offering to help Tullamore Astronomical Society buy giving us a Coronado to raffle off so that we can get funds to build up our Observatory for you and everyone else to use remotely... are you?

:D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #5884 by dmcdona
Dave - you raise some interesting questions. And Seanie is clearly holding you to ransom!

I certainly agree with everyone who has mentioned the benefit of visiual observing - both for various objects where visual observation is a real wow and also simply getting out there with a telescope - which is one of the reasons I enjoy the hobby.

Remote observing also has advantages and I guess its a matter of balance. I'm certainly not advocating that all amateurs immediatley set up LCD screens, buy CCD's, lots of wire and then cheerfully sit down at the indoor PC for 6 hours to look at the moon. I can't imagine anything more likely to turn people off the hobby.

But imagine what remote observing could do for amateurs. Let's say that TAS and SAC each buy a scope (or use an existing club scope), then invest in a CCD system, including remote observing software (ignore types, models, costs for a moment). Both now have a system that could be setup, switched on and then shared quickly amongst anyone on-line. So, anyone (IFAS member, affiliate or whatever) with a username/password can then see what the scope(s) see.

(For now, ignore an unmanned, remote, robotic observatory somewhere in the deep dark depths of Ireland.)

The setup above gives access to anyone - those clouded in, those who can't travel, those who have no equipment of their own, thos who want to be educated and guided by more experienced club members. The setup can be quickly dismantled at the end of a 'session' and the owner, individual or club, can then carry on and do their own thing.

This kind of facility is the way its going - the US are certainly ahead of the rest in providing this kind of system. The principle is simple but I know that implementing it would not be easy. But then a lot of things aren't easy...

I for one will be setting up as good an astrophotography system as I possibly can. I would be delighted to assign time and money that turns that system (for periods of time) into something I can share with others. If the clubs and IFAS do the same then I can see the potential for some kind of network of similar facilities across Ireland - just think - the East is clouded over but the West is clear for the Lunar eclipse - well hey, I'll just login and get a view of it anyway! Of course, if you weren't clouded over, you would do just as Dave says - your own thing.

I certainly see major advantages of remote observing - but clearly it is no substitute for hands-on visual observing.

It would a positive move forward if the idea is accepted in principle.

Dave

More
19 years 5 months ago #5886 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: Remote observations
My two cents

During the recent Luner eclipse I was totally clouded out. A man in New Jersey had his webcam hooked up and broadcast the event via yahoo messenger. (I had problems with yahoo log-on so missed it)

Handy service to have

Conor

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #5888 by dmcdona
Cheers Conor - a good example of what I'm talking about.

Folks - don't forget that remote observation doesn't have to mean 'expensive'. I'm sure there are many people here with webcams or similar and an internet hookup. The logical progression is then sharing that visual data via the Net.

The ultimate progression is a remote observatory for the use of all. And as Conor says, it could be a very handy facility to have.

I know we'd all prefer to get our hands dirty and watch an event or observe an object directly. And we will all continue to do that. But at some point, we won't be able to. Clouds, busted scope, busted leg, whatever. Remote observing gives a way out of some of those situations.

It also presents other opportunities. You could broadcast a feed to a group of peole rather than them all lining up one-at-a-time to take a short peek through the scope directly.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds