K-Tec

Remote observations

More
19 years 5 months ago #5914 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Remote observations
Hi Dave,
That is an interesting idea regarding remote scopes, I'm currently building an observatory at the back of the house, it will have a laptop were I will link up some internet access, I wonder how hard it would be to link the camera over the net, maybe use something like netmeeting which is built for webcams!!
I could point the scope at Jupiter with the webcam and people could email in or put up a post here, and say go to Saturn or the moon.
I think I'd be willing to give over some time for this.
Unfortunately, a webcam would not be able to manange faint deepsky objects live, but planets and the moon would work !!

Seanie, I wish I could :cry:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #5918 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Remote observations
Dave - there's a lot of ways to skin this particular cat... There are folks out there who are doing this type of work at its most basic and it seems to work. I remember Peter Grego (lunar dude in the UK) putting live images up on a web page - they may have been static but updtaed every 10 seconds or so. Video feed would be more demanding - not at your end but at the viewers end - a DSL/broadband connection would work fine though.

Netmeeting might be up to it - we used it at work but the feed seemed to come from a deciated netmeeting server - that's my only experience of that particular package being used for transmission. I used it myself for viewing images from the scope - seemed to work fine.

I'd definately be considering this type of facility when I get my setup going. Like you say - posting on this board and suggesting targets - great!

Let me know how you get on - I'd be very interested. Especially with the observatory!

Cheers

Dave

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #5923 by dmcdona
Dave - other than the free software out there, all I've come across so far is this:

acp3.dc3.com/buy-it.html

I signed up for free access to their simulator - I'll see how it goes.

For $495, you get what you're looking for - but can't make any money from it. How do you get $495? Perhaps some kind of subscription, sign-on fee or whatever.

Personally, I think trying the free stuff first seems logical. And the package above seems complex at first glance.

Dave

More
19 years 5 months ago #5938 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic see this site - arnierosner dot com.
Folks,

there is a user here (arnierosner) who has a very impressiv set up, and actually does what we are asking if it can be done. Myself, and Mike OC both looked at his site. Its quite impressive what he has to offer! I haven't entirely decided when to do it, though I am extremely keen to do it.

Perhaps he can offer advice? Granted, it may seem like competition to what he provides... but when you see the set up this guy has, you will soon notice its not!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #5941 by dmcdona
Seanie - Arnie manages Rent-a-Scope

www.arnierosner.com/are/index.htm

The setup is indeed impressive with top class equipment and software. A Tak Mewlon, Tak FRC and Tak E250 :shock:

And then there's the FLI and SBIG cameras :shock: :shock:

I'd love to give it a try.

However, if there's a groundswell in IFAS for a faciltiy, I'm not so sure folks would pay for it. The discussion so far on this post would lead to to suggest may trying out some live webcam imagery beamed out to interested members and then work on it from there.

But that doesn't rule out doing something with Arnie for other interested members (who are prepared to pay). After all, New Mexico gets marginally less cloud than Ireland :wink:

Arnie - if you're wtching, what do you reckon? Also, I'll be in NM in two weeks - there may be a possibilty of meeting if you're interested?

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds