K-Tec

Space Tourism...

• Tonybwf
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 2 months ago #61852 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic Re: Space Tourism...
Hey why not if ya can!! sounds like a good plan...if i had it under the bed i might pay for it...think id do it with the russians MIG-25 MACH 2 what more would ya want

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tonybwf
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 2 months ago #61857 by Tonybwf
This is what im taking about
:shock:
www.bestrussiantour.com/tourfiles/temig31.htm

Regards
Tony

More
16 years 2 months ago #61859 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Space Tourism...
The flight details would need to clearly define wheher it is a space flight or a sub-space flight. Space is generally deemed to begin at an altitude of 100km (Kármán line - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_line )

A sub-space flight, could in theory, mean just hopping on a hang glider! (sorry Phil!). Space flight is when you go above 100km. This could also be referred to as a sub-orbital flight. Going high enough to orbit the earth is a different kettle of fish. The altitude generally recognised as required to reach earth orbit is 350km. The differene in energy required betwen 100km and 350km is significant, hence the cost increases drmatically.

• Tonybwf
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 2 months ago #61861 by Tonybwf
I suppose i know the MIG-31 specs are:

service ceiling of 67,500ft
Rate of climb: 41,000ft/min
Speed:Mach 3.03....3,255km/h

so i suppose you would be only seeing the curveture of the earth, aint many planes can go 100,000km up SR-71 maybe 85,000ft i think
still do @ that speed and them gs be super.....

Regards
Tony

More
16 years 2 months ago #61923 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Space Tourism...
Assuming I had the money I would pay whatever the asking price was for an orbital trip. For instance, if I had won the euromillions instead of 'Yer Wan' Grrrgghh begrudgment, begrudgement :D, the very first phonecall I would have made would have been to the Russion Space Agency to book my 2 week stay on the ISS. In fact if I had have won the 113 million I 'hand on heart' would have forked out the 80 million for myself and my 3 brothers to make the trip, consecutively rather than concurrently obviously :D

Would have donated at least 3 million to charity to make myself feel less guilty about blowing 80 million so quickly and then I would live the rest of my life very happily on the remaining 30 million. That kind of money is just staggering now that I think about it again. Somehow I don't think the Mcnamara boys will be booking tickets to the ISS anytime soon. They probably bought 80 million euros worth of Champion Sports shares instead though :roll: :D

As for the Virgin Galatccic Sub-Orbitals for 100 grand. Not a chance. You do get to see the curvature of the earth and are weightless for about 3 minutes. Pity there is no room to actually float but you do have room to watch your pencil float around and suck up a few water globules :roll:

I'd much prefer the cheaper option of the Mig31 flights to see the curvature of the earth and book a few flights on the vomit comet for the experience of weightlessness. So what If I am not experiencing both at the same time.

Until there is a true orbital vehicle which will then take on the 100,000 price tag I can't see the price of the sub orbital flights dropping. Were a good 10-15 years from that at least. Until the Space Hotels are operational and take on the 100,000 price tag I cant see the orbital flight prices dropping. In other words, I'll be a Pensioner before its cheap enough for me. Some of you guys will probably be in your graves :D Now theres a happy thought!! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 2 months ago #61925 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Space Tourism...
I saw something last week about Virgin (Richard Branson) taking bookings for space tourism.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds