Native Irish Skies

• Diane ODonovan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 6 months ago #34076 by Diane ODonovan
Replied by Diane ODonovan on topic re Southdublin dictionary
Sadly, these are Arabic or Greek star-names, translated into Irish as far as I can see, though I only checked three or four pages worth.

".. the Carthaginian captain Hamilar saw in Birttany about 600bc .. skin boats which were making (so he reported) the three hundred mile crossing to the holy island of Ierne (Eire)"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34079 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Native Irish Skies
Daniel P. McCarthy (Trinity College Dublin) is the worlds leading expert in this. (I've put this up before, but it's interesting anyway.)

See his site:

www.cs.tcd.ie/Dan.McCarthy/

Also the Irish colony of St. Gallen, from where the 1006 Supernova was described

europeforvisitors.com/switzaustria/articles/st_gallen.htm

And the description:

celestialdelights.info/pub/SN1006_1.htm

The Irish monks described all their old pagan gods and wrote down their legends.
Significantly,they did not suppress the memory of the pagan past.

(The pagan legend of the Tain for instance: vassun.vassar.edu/~sttaylor/Cooley/detail.html )

So I wouldn't be surprised if old Irish star and constellation names are buried in those manuscripts somewhere as well.

McCarthy is the man to ask !

Peter.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34084 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Native Irish Skies
You've probably come across this already in your research but 'Astronomy in Prehistoric Britain and Ireland' by Clive Ruggles is worth getting your hands on if you are interested in archeoastronomy. Its a refreshing scientific look at what the people of these islands were actually able to determine and what they were not, and is thankfully free from the usual waffle that is written about passage graves and stone circles.

I see that he has also edited a book called 'Songs from the Sky: Indigenous Astronomical and Cosmological Traditions of the World'.This appears to delve more into folklore which may be of interest for your star naming perhaps.

His website is www.le.ac.uk/ar/rug/ he is now Professor of Archaeoastronomy at the University of Leicester.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Diane ODonovan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 6 months ago #34100 by Diane ODonovan
Replied by Diane ODonovan on topic DanMcCarthy's site and Songs of Sky
These are fine sites. Thanks. I should have picked up the second, since it is actually Vols 12 & 13 of Archaeoastronomy.

Anyone care to hear what I dig up?

(I hope I may meet some of you at meetings in a year or two.)
:)

".. the Carthaginian captain Hamilar saw in Birttany about 600bc .. skin boats which were making (so he reported) the three hundred mile crossing to the holy island of Ierne (Eire)"

More
17 years 6 months ago #34111 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: DanMcCarthy's site and Songs of Sky

T
Anyone care to hear what I dig up?

Absolutely! I find all this stuff fascinating!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 6 months ago #34123 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Native Irish Skies
Diane,
if you are able to, you might even consider (in your Oz-twanged Irish accent) doing an audio piece of a couple minutes that we can add to one of our monthly Podcasts!

:D

How are your nerves now?

S.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds