Native Irish Skies

• Diane ODonovan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 6 months ago #33994 by Diane ODonovan
Replied by Diane ODonovan on topic irish native astronomy - Brendan Voyage
I accept Tim Severin's account of the voyage. He didn't think it was just as legend, and nor do I.

But the irish names for the stars are not recorded, I think.

D

".. the Carthaginian captain Hamilar saw in Birttany about 600bc .. skin boats which were making (so he reported) the three hundred mile crossing to the holy island of Ierne (Eire)"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #33995 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Native Irish Skies
Hi Diane,

Welcome to the board!

Check out Anthony Murphy's www.mythicalireland.com web site for some details of the archaeoastronomy aspect.

The SDAS web site at www.southdublinastronomy.org has a link to the English-Irish astronomy dictionary under the "Community" section.

One example is Bó Finne being the Irish for "Milky Way". I think there is possibly an association here with the Táin Bó Chuilne legend but I can't remember where I read about that unfortunately.

atb,

John

More
17 years 6 months ago #33996 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Native Irish Skies

The SDAS web site at www.southdublinastronomy.org has a link to the English-Irish astronomy dictionary under the "Community" section.

www.southdublinastronomy.org/wiki/Focl%C3%B3ir

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Diane ODonovan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 6 months ago #33997 by Diane ODonovan
Replied by Diane ODonovan on topic Native Irish Skies
re MythicIreland and irish folk astronomy

When Gregory of Tours organised his roster for the monks to recite the Psalter, he had to adjust an older scheme, and when he did, he made the 'cross' of Cygnus an important time-marker.

".. the Carthaginian captain Hamilar saw in Birttany about 600bc .. skin boats which were making (so he reported) the three hundred mile crossing to the holy island of Ierne (Eire)"

More
17 years 6 months ago #34001 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Native Irish Skies
From the Fifth Century AD until the Eleventh Century AD Irish Monks recorded every single Solar and Lunar Eclipse visible from Ireland and Irish religious colonies in Britain and Europe.

Those Colonies included Iona and Lindisfarne and St. Gallen, among a lot of others.

They are by far the best Astronomical records from anywhere in the World from that period.

And they are here in Ireland to this day.

As I mentioned another time, this this year 2006 marks a thousand years since the brightest supernova in recorded history..the Great Lupus Supernove of 1006 AD.

The best European record of this Supernova is found in the Swiss city of St. Gallen. Founded by St. Gall the Irishman and named after him.

The city of St. Gallen celebrated the anniversary this year...but the Irish have forgotten St. Gall.

Most Irish astronomers never heard of those Irish records.

Peter.

• Diane ODonovan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 6 months ago #34075 by Diane ODonovan
Replied by Diane ODonovan on topic irish astronomical records of the early medieval period
Thank you for the reference.

Where are the records kept?

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds