K-Tec

Atmospheric phenomenae sticky

More
16 years 10 months ago #48062 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Atmospheric phenomenae sticky
Wow - now that's service! :D

Cheers guys,

Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greenflashman
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 9 months ago #48221 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Atmospheric phenome......phemonen....... clouds
Hi All,
Thanks for explaining about the links and showing me what NLC'S look like. Do they always occur low on the horizon or can they occur overhead? I remember a couple of years back that I got a phone call from a friend asking me if was watching the Aurora overhead. When I checked they were actually very fine brightly lit clouds not unlike what you have shown in your photos. It was definitely not an Aurora. I know because John Flannery didn't turn up on my right shoulder. Albert's excellent animation brought this incident back to me. Maybe they were some other type of cloud I don't know about.
This is terrible. Astronomers discussing clouds! What's happening with the weather?
Anyway we are heading back to Madagascar in September, well equipped with digital Canon's so expect some great night sky photos when we come back.
Regards,
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

More
16 years 9 months ago #48228 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Atmospheric phenomenae sticky
From our latitudes Brian, we rarely expect to see them above 25 dgerees from the horizon. Aurora can occur over head (or anywhere), but like NLC's, the further north you are (especially in summer), the more likely you will see NLC's and aurorae. For aurora, the darker the sky, the better, that's why you'd see more in Winer.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 9 months ago #48230 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Atmospheric phenomenae sticky
By the way Brian, interesting article from everyone's favourite online encyclopedia will give you more info, and some more reference pictures:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_clouds

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds