K-Tec

Observing sites outside dublin (within 1.5 hr drive)

• eamonn obrien
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 6 months ago #10255 by eamonn obrien
Hi Folks,
Eamonn O'Brien is my name , only new to the site. Problem is finding good isolated viewing site away from glow of city lights. most land is private so trespassing is an issue , also need solid ground to keep scope level. Found a spot near canal at enfield but still see a little glow from city. Any suugestions for ideal spot , be delighted to hear from you.

thanks,

Eamonn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 6 months ago #10257 by DaveGrennan
Hi Eamonn,

Welcome to the boards. Finding a good site can be difficult. Firstly if you find a good site but the land is private, why not have a chat with the land owner. You will find that most people would welcome you and your hobby. Especially if they get to look through your scope.

You will find that most of us Dubs do their observing down in Wicklow. For years I did mine at the car park at Djouce Woods. This site is now lost because wicklow co council bloked off the car park entrance to stop travellers moving in. The SDAS meet up near cloon wood which is not too far from enniskerry. Decent enough site but not very flat. I often set up at the entrance to the hill of tara. If you do find any decent site north of the liffey, i'd be very interested. As a northsider its a long drive to wicklow, especially if the clouds roll in after you've driven all that way!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 6 months ago #10259 by albertw

You will find that most of us Dubs do their observing down in Wicklow. For years I did mine at the car park at Djouce Woods. This site is now lost because wicklow co council bloked off the car park entrance to stop travellers moving in.

I really dont understand the logic of that. The car park had a big boulder in the way anyway, that made driving in difficult at the best of times. plus there was a metal height barrier. It would have been impossible to get a caravan in there. I've scratched my car getting out of there on occasion!

The SDAS meet up near cloon wood which is not too far from enniskerry. Decent enough site but not very flat.

And the RTE mast light on kippure does a good impression of Mordor... and its too light polluted... on the plus side its close and has a chipper nearby :-)

I noticed that one of the other car parks on the road down to the old Djouce Car Park was open last weekend so I drove in to check it out. Its surrounded by trees much like the other car park, but crucially is clear to the south. I havent gone up at night, but I did speak to John Flannery about possibly asking Coilte about access to it. Presumably they have the key to the barrier. (Its the one with the bottle banks at its entrance, I dont have the grid ref).

Someone mentioned that the travellers have moved on from the sugar loaf car park now. So hopefully the place is a little tidier, and feels safer to set up expensive equipment in.

Since I'll be hiking up in the hills more now that the weather is getting better i'll keep an eye out for better places. Unfortunately there are very few places that are dark, have good visibility, and are somewhat sheleterd.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 6 months ago #10266 by DaveGrennan

I noticed that one of the other car parks on the road down to the old Djouce Car Park was open last weekend so I drove in to check it out. Its surrounded by trees much like the other car park, but crucially is clear to the south. I havent gone up at night, but I did speak to John Flannery about possibly asking Coilte about access to it. Presumably they have the key to the barrier. (Its the one with the bottle banks at its entrance, I dont have the grid ref).

I can tell you for certain that Coillte dont have a problem per-se giving out a key for sites. *but* they are absolutely insistant (and rightly so IMHO) on the person requesting a key providing proof (certificate) of insurance for all who will use the facilities.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 6 months ago #10267 by albertw

I can tell you for certain that Coillte dont have a problem per-se giving out a key for sites. *but* they are absolutely insistant (and rightly so IMHO) on the person requesting a key providing proof (certificate) of insurance for all who will use the facilities.

I wouldn't object to that policy at all, I'd insist on the same in their shoes.

Can someone bring up the status of club insurance at the IFAS meeting in COSMOS, specifically what the cover is, and ensuring that clubs have valid copies of the policy/certificate?

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• eamonn obrien
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 6 months ago #10276 by eamonn obrien

Hi Eamonn,

Welcome to the boards. Finding a good site can be difficult. Firstly if you find a good site but the land is private, why not have a chat with the land owner. You will find that most people would welcome you and your hobby. Especially if they get to look through your scope.

You will find that most of us Dubs do their observing down in Wicklow. For years I did mine at the car park at Djouce Woods. This site is now lost because wicklow co council bloked off the car park entrance to stop travellers moving in. The SDAS meet up near cloon wood which is not too far from enniskerry. Decent enough site but not very flat. I often set up at the entrance to the hill of tara. If you do find any decent site north of the liffey, i'd be very interested. As a northsider its a long drive to wicklow, especially if the clouds roll in after you've driven all that way!!

Hi Dave ,
As it happens I play a little golf out at donabate beside swords. Very flat there amazing spots beside sea. Maybe venture onto golf course at night , I'm sure owners won't mind. Really is ideal out there. There is a pub at end of corballis golf course , forget its name but its a cool spot for viewing. best of luck , let me know if you get lucky out there , should be easy to find a spot.

cheers,

Eamonn 8)

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds