K-Tec

Observing sites outside dublin (within 1.5 hr drive)

More
19 years 6 months ago #10297 by cloudsail
It's even more difficult to find a viewing site that doesn't require a car, but I found this camping park on the beach in Rush to have reasonably dark skies:
www.stilwell.co.uk/show_town.asp?Q=camps%7CL4269644

Before sunset quite a few lads race cars up and down north Rush beach, but after sunset it quiets down considerably and the campsite is really well managed by a good fellow. I don't know if he would be open to allowing astronomical visits (for a fee) during the off season, but the camping fee is very inexpensive. So bring a tent and a telescope and don't make too much noise after 11pm and you should be alright.

As with any beachside site, you might want to avoid using an open-tube scope when the wind is easterly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #10302 by dpower
The Curragh is only 45 mins down the road if you are heading out after 7pm, when the crazy traffic has subsided. Johnno and I went looking for a good spot on the Curragh last week- we found a good spot on a hill with good 360 degree viewing.
Johnno went out to see the spot at night and said the light polution was negligible. We haven't tried it yet, but as soon as we do I'll let you know....

IFAS web team

• eamonn obrien
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 6 months ago #10309 by eamonn obrien

The Curragh is only 45 mins down the road if you are heading out after 7pm, when the crazy traffic has subsided. Johnno and I went looking for a good spot on the Curragh last week- we found a good spot on a hill with good 360 degree viewing.
Johnno went out to see the spot at night and said the light polution was negligible. We haven't tried it yet, but as soon as we do I'll let you know....

Yeh, close to curragh golf course is good , but wonder what weirdoz are lurking around also more than likely a lovers haven also , its very exposed there , sorry for being negative about it. Never tried the curragh at night for viewing maybe its fine.

cheers,

Eamonn :?

More
19 years 5 months ago #10623 by Patricia Maypother
Replied by Patricia Maypother on topic Re: Observing sites outside dublin (within 1.5 hr drive)
Hi there! if you are interested I can offer a site which is virtually free of ambient light, if you can offer me some help in setting up my scope. I am a recent comer to telescopic astronomy and need help badly. I am 1.1/2 hours from Newlands Cross, at the border of Laois and Tipperary. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds