Weather on the web

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 5 months ago #10461 by dmcdona
Weather on the web was created by dmcdona
Folks - I've recently been perusing some of the US astro sites and some of the folks there have a real cool weather graphic (clear sky clock), based on their location, which gives cloud, seeing, humidity, temperature etc etc. Its based on data from Canada Met organisation I think.

e.g. cleardarksky.com/c/BtlgsBaGCAkey.html?1

Does anyone know of a similar facilty that would cover Ireland? I'm a big user of Mark Stronge's site which is excellent but all that navigating and mouse button use is killing my arm!...

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10463 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Weather on the web
Hi all

That clear sky clock is supposed to be brillant, very accurate. The astronomers in the US will use nothing else. Unforunately there is no version for us here yet.

for those who are interested go to www.letstalkstars.com On one of the archived radio shows David Levy interviews the inventor of the clear sky clock. Its very good...check it out.

I have yet to find a weather report thats accurate for me here in Maghera, Co.Derry. over 90% of the time it is in exteme error. The amount of times i have been informed of 100% clouds when it is 100% clear. it has come to the stage where i can tell it better than the other sources. I wish we had aversion of the clear sky clock for here!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #10473 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Weather on the web
Dave the one I use is

www.metcheck.com

Choose your location then select 'Night cloudcast' from the left menu. It looks great but I'm not so sure how accurate it is. Certainly I've seen it say it will be 100% cloudy on nights where its 100% clear and vice-versa.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #10474 by astroguy
Replied by astroguy on topic Re: Weather on the web
I have been emailing with the inventor of the sky clock. (His name is not with me now)
He told me that you need uniform fine grain MET data to make this work. In the US all met services are unified in their data gathering. In Europe we have each country with its own met service with their own ideas and data gathering.
No sky clock anytime soon folks. Sorry

Regards

Jouke

LX 200 GPS, Williams optics 80mm APO, Meade LPI, Canon 300D, Skymap pro, Lunar phase pro, Image plus, Exploradome.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10475 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Weather on the web
I find metcheck to be the worst for accuracy here :cry:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 5 months ago #10476 by markdj
Replied by markdj on topic Re: Weather on the web
The only other option is the astronomy forecast

www.weatherweb.net/astronomy.htm

I have the link on my website under Current Weather - Astronomy

They don't cover all of Ireland but it does say that if you are an astronomer, just email them and they'll include your location in the next update...

Mark

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds