K-Tec

Aurora Alert

More
19 years 5 months ago #11200 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Aurora Alert
It was remarkably clear when I got home from the TAS meeting last night too! Totally unexpected, as in Tullamore, we just stood around afterwards talking, trying to see if it would clear up - but it didn't!

When I got home, the heavens were twinking all over the place! But, even from my good antage point, there was not a hint of an aurora at all, and I managed to get a clear northern horizon too.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11207 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Aurora Alert
Very strange indeed! The auroral oval was all over Ireland, Briton and even over N.Europe. I seen its highest activity level between 01.00 and 02.00 after that it faded rapidly from view then was gone. What time where you observing form? Before the outburst the aurora was a very faint blue glow hugging the horizon and barely noticeable from the backgroung sky glow. If it was at any of the times other than the peak actvity time period perhaps it would be too faint to see.

Thats my theory anyway! :)

Clear Skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 5 months ago #11208 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Aurora Alert
Hi Seanie!

I just realised you where talking about last night :oops:

It was clear here from dusk to dawn and i done ALOT of observing and again before dawn. I did not see a hint of an aurora last night at all!!! :cry: ....but in the evening sky i did get to see 2 lovely bright lunar pillars! I spotted M13 with the naked eye and the LNE mag was 6.5.....great night!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds