K-Tec

Aurora Alert

More
19 years 5 months ago #11170 by shanemcd
Replied by shanemcd on topic Re: Aurora Alert
Yes, That would make sense!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11171 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Aurora Alert
Cloudy here, no sightings yet.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #11180 by Equinox
Replied by Equinox on topic Re: Aurora Alert
I've never even seen an aurora. :(

More
19 years 5 months ago #11182 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Aurora Alert

Last night on msn we where discussing the possiblity of an aurora being visible as the auroal oval was in the red and covering all of the UK and at times northern Europe. The sky cleared before 01.00 and i went outside and once i got dark adapted i seen an aurora present very low in the north in the form of a very faint blue band 7* above the horizon however it was not that much brighter than the normal background sky brightness that close the the horizon. After some time the activity increased and i could see at least 5 vertical green beams at the same time moving swiftly to the east. These where approx 25* above the horizon extending to the vicinity of Capella. The 7* high band was the same height but now a green colour also. The display had died out within one hour.

I decided to do a tour of the sky while i was there. I borrowed Conors 4.5" TAL1 (thanks again Conor ), attached my Telrad to it and carried it through the bars out to the middle of the pitch. I observed Jupiter, Saturn, Castor, U Cephei, delta Cephei, RCrB, TCrB, Double cluster, M34, M44, NGC1528, M27, M71, M29, M39, M56, M57, M10, M12, M13, M92, M5, M94, M63 and C/2004 Q2 Machholz. I spotted 5 meteors...1 sporadic, 2 virginids and 2 Lyrids. I also learned the positions of 10 new 5th mag stars in the milkway within Vulpecula so i can put more of the night sky to memory. The milkyway in Cygnus was amazing, it looked like a cloud complete with the Cygnus dark rift and other dark nebulae within the dust clouds..wonderful. seeing= 9/10, Trans= 8/10

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 5 months ago #11184 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Aurora Alert
Sounds like you were up all night Martin.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #11186 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Aurora Alert
Out for an hour or so then up before dawn. I like to make the most of every clear night! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds