K-Tec

Big Aurora today

More
18 years 10 months ago #17371 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Big Aurora today
Just had a look here in Maynooth and nothing noticable here between the rockets!

Bart B.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17373 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Big Aurora today
This display is one of the best i have seen. full details later

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #17374 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Big Aurora today
Activity seem to have died down alot but about 7.20 pulled over on side of road in north Mayo during a phone call and happened to look out and north, beautiful green curtains with several spikes under UMa, not sure when it started though. Auroral glow although very low down and intense continued for abour 45 mins after. Weird, no Coronal Mass ejections or coronal holes?

Ronan Newman

More
18 years 10 months ago #17375 by martinastro
Check this link to see Conors images taken tonight!

www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/th...mp;posts=116#M287816

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 10 months ago #17376 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Big Aurora today
A firework and an aurora in the same shot!

Now *that's* impressive... :shock:

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17377 by martinastro
Details...

I was out comet hunting as darkness fell and at 18.40 i looked to the west and seen a growing green auroral band 60* long and 10* high, within a short period it grew to 15* in height and several bright and faint vertical rays appeared. Then everything went into outburst, first one then two bright green oval patches developed followed by a giant homogenous band that grew very bright blocking out the stars low in the north.

Then countless sharp bright green rays covered the entire sky from the west to the north east reaching up to the height of Polaris and expanding 140* in azimuth, These rays were broad one minute and pencil thin the next always changing there intensity and morphology as they divided and multiplied at a rapid speed. These were absolutley stunning and blew us away. This activity remained like this for a long time and waxed and waned in intensity 3 for 4 times. We seen curtains and waves of shimmering light however the most amazing thing we saw was a very bright green (with a tinge of red) patch of light at the bottom of the curtains that shot across the northern sky several times across the distant rooftops at an estimated rate of 10 degrees per second!!!! We have never seen this phenomena before..at one time it actually reversed back and shot across from right to left. I cannot find words and descriptions to justify this aurora as i was simply dumbstruck when i saw it. The display is ongoing now as i speak at 21.17. Conor caught many great images using two cameras and succeded in capturing fireworks and a meteor in the same image as the aurora!!!

What a treat..the most amazing aurora i have seen since 2003 and it took us by suprise on Halloween. I will never forget this show!!

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds