K-Tec

Looking for advice from those in the know on Binoculars

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 4 months ago #12031 by DaveGrennan

Aperture isn't too important at all during the day.

I'm afraid I disagree with this, IMHO aperture is just as important during the day. I have a pair of 10x25 binos and other than generally surveying scenes, they really are not up to much when it comes to the resolving fine detail which, I would imagine is would be extremely important while trying to spot small details on a safari. I totally agree that as a second pair for ease of use they are fine for generally surveying a large scene, but as the sole instrument, I know I would want something with a bit of resolving power for when you spot that lion a mile away and all your 10x25s show you is a black spot!

I do whole heartly agree that comfort and the ability to hand hold without shaking is essential. I personally have never had any problem handholding a pair of 10x50's for daytime (or astronomy) use.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12035 by Bill_H
I concur with Dave G. Using binoculars for wildlife requires good resolution. Being out in the field is not like looking at lions etc in a zoo. You could walk past a lion at ten paces and not notice it until it bites yer ass. While on Safari, one of the main jobs of the guides is to point out these animals, otherwise you would see nothing, you then need good resolution to observe the beast and help to distinguish it from the grasses, shrubs etc. The guides know where they are because they know their habits. I wouldn't go on safari without a good pair of bino's for finding, and an excellent pair for watching. Get the best aperture you can afford, otherwise you might be wondering why you spent so much on a safari. granted, a lot will be in good view, including lions etc, but what are you going to do when your guide points out an unexpected bonus like the red-breasted wherethedamnamI bird.
Just my twopence worth.
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12041 by dave_lillis
thats whats great about this site, you'll always get honest point of views :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 4 months ago #12048 by lionsden

Is that advice necessary for a pair to use on a safari though?Al

Yes, I think it is. I have to agree with Dave G.
For me, I would go with a good pair of 10x50s. 10 times magnification is enough (too much and they're going to get a jittery image) with 50mm aperture, which will give you good resolution with a decent field of view (You won't get that from anything smaller). That's also size that you can use, in you're hands, for extended periods of time without any discomfort. As for chromatic aberration or misalignment, they're things you don't want in a pair of binos for use in day or night.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12054 by Declan Shortt
:D some great advice there from the lads.im only starting out myself but would recommend a pair of Aotec optisan leo3 10x50.if you can get them.there great for the night sky and scanning the landscape.ive tried a few pairs belonging to a friend of mine and find these far better[sorry trev]..there is a good sturdy rubber shell and crystal clear vision in bright light.at 90 euro they wont break the bank.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12062 by PH
Its generally accepted that the internet is a great source of information, and I use it all the time as such. However this is the first time I've used it to contact a group like yourselves to get advice, and it has been fantastic!

Thanks to one and all for the detail & advice, I'll get something good enough to let me have a long hard look at the sky also while we're down there, never know I might find something worth reporting back on.

Again, Thanks

Paul.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds