K-Tec

Deep Impact

More
19 years 2 months ago #13424 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Deep Impact
hi everyone,

latest info from www.spaceweather.com is that "The explosion was hidden from telescopes on Earth by the comet's gaseous atmosphere. Tempel 1's overall brightness, a dim 10th magnitude before the crash, barely increased."

sounds about right based on what people on www.cloudynights.com were saying. There was a brief flaring but it seems to not have significantly affected the overall magnitude of the comet. Weather from Ireland may stymie us yet again :roll:

of course by nightfall here the circumstances for the comet may have changed but I'm not that hopeful. Will look with the 20x60mm binocs anyway.

atb,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13426 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: post

What are the chances of seeing it with an EXT 70 ? :?

I'd say as good a chance as a pair of John's 20 X 60 binoculars! :)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13427 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Deep Impact

I'd say as good a chance as a pair of John's 20 X 60 binoculars!

ah, you'd be surprised what I've seen in those . . . celestial objects of course :)

J.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13429 by Patch
Replied by Patch on topic Re: Deep Impact
I just heard on the news that astronomy Ireland are saying it may even be visable to the naked eye. Given the right weather conditions, what are the odds? Are they just talking it up coz they have comet watches on tonight?

More
19 years 2 months ago #13430 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Deep Impact
Not unless it reaches around magnitude 6 or higher... and thats being generous. Knowing the kind of dusty night time skies we get during the summer, sometimes only magnitude 5or 6 is best. The news is saying that it hasn't even gotten near to magnitude 8, which is a disappointment. Still, their Millenium Telescope for 50p-a-look should not disappoint those who go along.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13431 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Deep Impact

Deirdre Kelleghan wrote:
What are the chances of seeing it with an EXT 70 ? Confused

I'd say as good a chance as a pair of John's 20 X 60 binoculars! Smile

Given that I failed to find it with my 222mm Dobsonian, (dispite sucessfully finding the exact positions on several nights) and that the expected brightening was only about 2 magnitudes, I doubt that I will see it tonight! It is too low in the SW by time the sky is dark enough.

Hope to be proved wrong though :)

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds