K-Tec

Deep Impact

More
19 years 2 months ago #13458 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Deep Impact
Saw your mug on the late RTE news last night! Fair play.

The reporter covering the story said that the light from the blast would take 8 seconds to reach earth - try 8.5 minutes! Don't you just hate it when no matter how many times you tell them and they still get it wrong! :roll:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13465 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Deep Impact
Seanie,

7 mins 26 seconds actually... (based on Tempel 1 being at a distance of 0.894 AU at time of impact) :wink:

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 2 months ago #13472 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Deep Impact

Saw your mug on the late RTE news last night! Fair play.

The reporter covering the story said that the light from the blast would take 8 seconds to reach earth - try 8.5 minutes! Don't you just hate it when no matter how many times you tell them and they still get it wrong! :roll:

Seanie.

Yep I just saw the report for the first time. I tild her that three times that I can recall. To be fair. she was well interested. I'm partially deaf so I couldnt hear what she was saying when she was doing her bit. I didnt hear her say 8 seconds!! Also I noticed in the six one broadcast she mentioned that it might be visible to the naked eye. I never told her that!!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 2 months ago #13473 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Deep Impact
I just saw a TA circular which doesnt sound very promising. It seems the inital brighening dissapated within 5 hours and tempel 1 is now hovering above 11th mag:(

Oh well:( just have to use some dynamite next time.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
19 years 2 months ago #13485 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post

More
19 years 2 months ago #13513 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Deep Impact
From a TA EC No. 2129 ref: Comet Temple.

Latest update Comet Temple

According to Dr, Mark Kidger, Canary Islands reports:

The last 36 hours have been extremely exciting, but ultimately disappointing with respect to Deep Impact and its consequences. Many people seem to think that in the absence of a major light curve event that there will be none. This may be premature because the third phase of the post-impact light curve has barely started.

Up to now the results have been somewhat unexpected. On impact the reaction from the comet was unexpectedly strong, certainly at the high end of expectations. Observations showed an increase of about 2 magnitudes over 15 minutes after impact, although somewhat surprisingly the amplitude was only slightly larger in 2" aperture than in 5". Coincident with this, there was a brief enhancement of cometary emission lines such as CN. After this the comet has faded again and has stubbornly refused to brighten as the impact debris cloud expanded into the coma. Disappointingly, there is no information about the crater other than it is larger than a house (suggesting that it is well under the 100-m diameter that project experts were predicting as their baseline size for it) and no images of it have been released.

What this suggests is that the dust mantle of the comet was thick and also desiccated. When it expanded into space it carried little or no ice with it (had the dust been rich in ice we would have seen a major brightening from sublimation of ice trapped in the dust) and that only a small amount of ice underneath was volatilised when the crater formed. However, it seems possible that there was significant artesian gas pressure underneath the dust mantle and that when the mantle was breached the release of this pressure contributed to the formation of the plume.

Now, we enter the third stage of the light curve. A significant crater has formed which should have breached the dust mantle exposing fresh ice underneath. This should lead to the formation of a significant new active area on the surface of the nucleus. According to how rapidly heat enters this crater, how efficiently the insulating dust mantle has been cleared, and how much fresh ice has been exposed, the comet should start a slow brightening. If this happens the comet could brighten several magnitudes. A lack of such brightening would suggest that either fresh ice has not been exposed by the impact - either because the crater is too shallow, or because the nucleus's outer layers are poor in ice - or that heat is not reaching the crater floor efficiently, which could happen if the crater is very deep with respect to its diameter.

Observers should thus continue to monitor the comet for activity over at least the next week, although initial indications from post-impact CCD photometry by the "Observadores_cometas" group is that a sustained brightening has not occurred so far.

At present there are no signs that the expected brightening is happening. In fact, results from Swift also show the comet stable at 30% brighter than pre-impact, exactly the same as the amateur CCD results.

Eamonn A

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds