K-Tec

Are we on for a cold winter this year??

More
18 years 11 months ago #15861 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Heard of this also on the news yesterday, all the concern over oil/petrol prices going up & the very cold forecast winter ahead...nothin' like those damn clear winter nights though!

Keith...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #15869 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Are we on for a cold winter this year??

Not sure about home but its hot in New York at the moment. People here saying that its the hottest September that they remember[1]. You should need a jumper around here at this time, instead its shorts and t-shirt weather.

Cheers,
~Al

[1] Then again they are New Yorkers ;-)

It's unnaturally warm for September here in DC too, Al! And not just because Congress is back in session :lol:

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 11 months ago #15870 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Are we on for a cold winter this year??

Hi,
I was listening to the radio yesterday and it mentioned that some meteorological model predicts a cold winter, winds form the north etc...

Everyone seems to be talking about this today. From what I understand this model has been running for 5 years and the last two years it got it right, now this year its predicting a cold one for the first time. Given its previous success, im not surprised people are taking notice.

Did anyone notice there was a distinct lack of those hard frosty nights last winter. Even when it was clear the frost never seemed to hit hard. Maybe they'll be doubled this year!!

Heres hopin'

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 11 months ago #15873 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Are we on for a cold winter this year??
I was thinking the same Dave before I saw your post. I remember it being one of the wettest and windiest. Remember around mid-December we got one night where I thought a small hurricane was blowing in front of my house? Also, there was a lot of hail too. But you're right, not as many frosty nights as you would have expected.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 11 months ago #15875 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Are we on for a cold winter this year??
My old knee is acting up.... :D
the met office can't even tell me what tomorrows weather will be like!!! Have to say i dont have much faith in these models guys.

IFAS web team

More
18 years 11 months ago #15877 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Are we on for a cold winter this year??
Me too...there are too many variables involved and chaos theory says that you cannot predict the weather for more than 3 days into the future. I do remember loads of frosty nights last winter but overall it was not as cold as previous ones.

Give me plenty of clear transparent nights, no gales and snow on Christmas and i will be a happy camper. :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds