K-Tec

Supernova discovery - confirmation from Ireland

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16123 by dmcdona
Thanks folks. The confirmation images were taken with the DSI on the 8" Celestron SCT at F6.3. They were 90 second exposures.

I'm pretty certain that there are at least a few of you out there who have the necessary equipment to get down to this kind of detail and magnitide. So in that respect, I'm sure a few of you would have been able to do the same.

All in all, I'm delighted that I've been able to contribute some 'real' science at last - albeit only a confirmation image. As far as SN searches go, I'll have to mull that one over. It would be cool to discover one though!

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16124 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Supernova discovery - confirmation from Ireland
Congratulations Dave on confirming a new supernova..thats a surperb achivement. A moment never to be forgotten...i wish you more of these good times in the near future :D

Great stuff :wink:

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 11 months ago #16125 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Supernova discovery - confirmation from Ireland
Well done Dave!

More
18 years 11 months ago #16126 by eansbro
Well done Dave! I am particularly impressed because of the size of telescope and the basic DSI camera. Your new mounting is really paying off with results to that limiting mag threshold. Looking forward to not only more confirmations, but may be new discoveries

Eamonn A

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16127 by dmcdona
Thanks folks :oops:

I think this will be an unforgetable moment but I hope there will be more.

The thing that still surprises me is, as Eamonn says, the ability of this setup to get down to mag 17.9 (and a few tenths more I suspect). I got a mail off a guy some time back who got down to mag 19.6 - with a 14" scope and an SBIG CCD. So I thought I'd be lucky to hit mag 16 with such a small scope and an entry level CCD. But there you go.

I hope folks reading this board can see that it doesn't take a huge amount of expensive equipment to do science. I know I have a super mount but I do know that standard mounts would also be capable of this type of work. So, hopefully, this will spur you guys and gals onto similar projects. It would be great for this community and for the Irish amateur community.

And yes, I'll be at Whirlpool on Saturday to sign autographs, provided you can get past the minders... :wink:

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 11 months ago #16134 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Ah well done Dave!! :D I'll bet your feelin' great today! and with a C8 as well, mine too, but i don't have that mount or DSI. :(

Now mag 17.9 isn't bad at all!, As the guys said already, try and search yourself, even the brighter messier galaxies would be a great start!

Nice to hear 'one of our own' doing this, Well done
Keith..

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds