Just because I'm paranoid!!

• DaveGrennan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #17831 by DaveGrennan
Just because I'm paranoid!! was created by DaveGrennan
.... doesnt mean the Gods of cloud aren't out to get me!!

Last night, was 100% crystal clear. Nice and transparant, so I started lumping the gear outside with the intention of getting a nights photography in. As soon as I finished setting up, WOOOOSH, 100% cloudy. I suspected it was just local so I left the gear in place and went inside to wait it out.

About midnight I looked out and could see the cloud breaking from the west. As the clearance passed overhead I started to notice cloud just forming behind it at random places around the sky. The random cloud managed to cover about 30% of the sky.

I looked up at Taurus and decided to start there as that area was clear, located the crab nebula, focussed, found a guide star, click whizz, I was guiding, check for dew, still good ready to expose? No, the cloud had moved to cover Taurus, dang. Oh well Ursa Major is starting to get higher, so I'll have another go at M82, same deal, find, focus, guide, WOOOSH, cloud moves to cover ursa major. Oh well orion looks good. Rinse and repeat.... eventually I gave up in disguist.

Now do you blame a guy for being paranoid? :?

Anyway, its done one positive thing, its made me decide that I need an observatory and need to start planning it immediately. I had been thinking of modifying a commercial shed, but overall I think I'd prefer to build one from the ground up like this

www.skyshed.com

Oh to live in northern Arizona or somewhere similar!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17832 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Just because I'm paranoid!!

.... doesnt mean the Gods of cloud aren't out to get me!!

Last night, was 100% crystal clear. Nice and transparant, so I started lumping the gear outside with the intention of getting a nights photography in. As soon as I finished setting up, WOOOOSH, 100% cloudy. I suspected it was just local so I left the gear in place and went inside to wait it out.

About midnight I looked out and could see the cloud breaking from the west. As the clearance passed overhead I started to notice cloud just forming behind it at random places around the sky. The random cloud managed to cover about 30% of the sky.

I looked up at Taurus and decided to start there as that area was clear, located the crab nebula, focussed, found a guide star, click whizz, I was guiding, check for dew, still good ready to expose? No, the cloud had moved to cover Taurus, dang. Oh well Ursa Major is starting to get higher, so I'll have another go at M82, same deal, find, focus, guide, WOOOSH, cloud moves to cover ursa major. Oh well orion looks good. Rinse and repeat.... eventually I gave up in disguist.

Now do you blame a guy for being paranoid? :?

Anyway, its done one positive thing, its made me decide that I need an observatory and need to start planning it immediately. I had been thinking of modifying a commercial shed, but overall I think I'd prefer to build one from the ground up like this

www.skyshed.com

Oh to live in northern Arizona or somewhere similar!

so my cloud machine worked then ! ;).
stephen.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17847 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Just because I'm paranoid!!
Great idea Dave....keep us informed about the construction.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 10 months ago #17850 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Just because I'm paranoid!!
Yip, I had a similar experiance a few yeara go,
I carried out the scope and all the parts that go with it, I looked up before I put it all together and it was a nice sky, so I went ahead and set it up, takes 20-30 mins, just as I was finishing I noticed that the surroundings were a little brighter, looked up and all I could see was light polluted cloud from end of the sky to another. :x
Thats was the last straw for me. Let us know how you get on with the shed.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #17851 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Just because I'm paranoid!!

just as I was finishing I noticed that the surroundings were a little brighter, looked up and all I could see was light polluted cloud from end of the sky to another. :x

I find it amazing just how much light pollution there is around Tullamore when the same happened last night. The 4 of us observing thought we could read a book in the 'dark' while we waited for it to clear!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17853 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Same happened me on Sunday night - Dave, check here to see if clouds' on the way, it's an IR shot from space, not visible (of course it's nighttime!!)

About 90% Accurate - I use to check out the skies after dark :D

www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/D2u.html

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds