K-Tec

Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight

More
18 years 10 months ago #18218 by MarkCahill
Replied by MarkCahill on topic Re: Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight
I did not see any Meteor's this morning as it was cloudy in Limerick. I did however see a lovely concentric rainbow rings (two of them) around the moon, can anyone tell me if this a "Lunar Corona" or "Lunar Halo"(or both ???). Maybe I should have taken a photo !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #18219 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight
Lunar Halo Mark, thats what it sounded like. The rainbow effect is from cold moisture in the air (what is anyway foggy?). Usually, when you see the halo as white, thats reflection high up off ice crystals.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 10 months ago #18220 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight

Before dawn is the best time...the radiant would not have rose at that time hence no Leonids.

well maybe partly true to some extent. but leo rises long before dawn and not forgetting that they 99per cent of the time appear 40deg from the radient if there was anything worthwhile i wud have at least seen 1.

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
18 years 10 months ago #18221 by Conor

Before dawn is the best time...the radiant would not have rose at that time hence no Leonids.

well maybe partly true to some extent. but leo rises long before dawn and not forgetting that they 99per cent of the time appear 40deg from the radient if there was anything worthwhile i wud have at least seen 1.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #18222 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight
The radiant rises in the hours after midnight, it would need to be at a descent height to see any activity has the shower is week anyway. All of the Leonids i saw this morning where near the radiant with the exception of one. Doing a leonid watch before midnight would be of little use.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 10 months ago #18228 by Conor
Well noting wrong in trying 8)

Vrey cold tonight again, gona do a watch

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds