K-Tec

Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight

More
18 years 10 months ago #18234 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Credit to you Martin for getting up in those freezing conditions! It was very cold last night - I chickened out :(

It's a lovely sight when there's frost over a moonlit sky, and so quiet too, as for the Owl, It nice when that happens :D

I had that with a Cat once - I could swear he could talk back to me!! But that's another story :D :D

Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #18236 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight
lol i would love to hear that story Keith and thanks for the comments. One time (several years ago)i was observing through the scope and looked down to see a rat walk over my boot. Last summer i was again observing when i had the feeling i was being watched...i looked up and found myself looking into the face of a very big fox that was in my drive way, it disappeared into a neighbours hedge, its big red bushy tail was a real sight.

Im currently doing a meteor watch but just in to warm up..its SO COLD!!!, an observer from the my society witnessed a fabulous Taurid fireball that made a whizzing sound and left a smoke trail for 10 seconds. Hence my evening watch, will probably meet up with Conor soon for a second sesion. I do plan to get up before dawn for another Leonid watch..hope it stays clear.

Clear skies :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #18337 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight
Done a Leonid Watch from 04.00 - 06.25. It was so difficult to get out of a snug warm bed on such a cold night but as is usual with these situations you are always glad you made the effort once you where out. As soon as i walked out of the back door the cold hit me as if i walked into a wall. It was freezing, calm, quiet with a very heavy ground frost. The landscape was a stunning white, above me the wanning full moon was a nice sight in Gemini with periodic high level herring bone structured clouds drifting over creating a train of stunning Coronae.

I walked around the pitch with my 2 dogs trying to keep moving to generate heat leaving dark trails in the frost. This morning i was very suprised by the lack of meteor activity, overall i seen 9 meteors...

Leonids = 5
Geminids= 2
Monocerotids= 2

I was very glad to see my first two Geminid meteors of the season! with the exception of a small iridum flare thats all i seen during nearly 2.5 hours of skywatching...maybe i will see something cool tommorow!

Done a Leonid Watch from 04.00 - 06.25. It was so difficult to get out of a snug warm bed on such a cold night but as is usual with these situations you are always glad you made the effort once you where out. As soon as i walked out of the back door the cold hit me as if i walked into a wall. It was freezing, calm, quiet with a very heavy ground frost. The landscape was a stunning white, above me the wanning full moon was a nice sight in Gemini with periodic high level herring bone structured clouds drifting over creating a train of stunning Coronae.

I walked around the pitch with my 2 dogs trying to keep moving to generate heat leaving dark trails in the frost. This morning i was very suprised by the lack of meteor activity, overall i seen 9 meteors...

Leonids = 5
Geminids= 2
Monocerotids= 2

I was very glad to see my first two Geminid meteors of the season! with the exception of a small iridum flare thats all i seen during nearly 2.5 hours of skywatching...maybe i will see something cool tommorow!

I checked the LASCO C3 images when i went in and immediately spotted 2 comets side by side racing towards the sun..amazing, then checked the C2 images to find another comet entering the images....great...3 new comets in under a minute.

Clear skies

Clear skies

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds