K-Tec

lidl refractor telescope

More
18 years 9 months ago #19580 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Power Source and Alignment

Another query - the ETX 70 - to align during the day even roughly requires a power source. From my experience with my power pack - its reasonably heavy and could there be an issue with weight in a suitcase/large bag in terms of excess baggage etc?

Careful now... I was thinking of getting one of those car power packs. BUT, the ETX-70 runs on 9 volts, whereas (I think) all the other ETX's (bar the 90) run on 12 volts. The car pack only has a 12V-out 'cigarette lighter' source.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19620 by de.lesse.be
Replied by de.lesse.be on topic Re: EXT70 - Size and Weight

I have also been able to take the other Lidl refractor onboard all the flights that I've gone on. It's a lot more clumsy than the ETX though. However it gives great images with an SLR.

Is it easy to connect a dslr?? And is it interesting to use this etx70 to take pics?? And have someone examples???

Thanks... :wink:

More
18 years 9 months ago #19622 by pulsar
Replied by pulsar on topic Re: lidl refractor telescope
Hi, I take it back, they are getting the ETX 70 in up North

===========================
Daniel
Did I ever tell you about my universal theory?
U=MB. The Universe is just one big milk bottle!
www.pulsar.co.nr

More
18 years 9 months ago #19776 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic ETX70
Hi,

As you know from above posts I am going to Turkey for the eclipse in March 06 and I am thinking about getting an ETX70 to take with me. I read recently on another forum about the ETX70 limitations regarding photography - see below

"You will need a camera adaptor of the type that replaces the eyepiece for the eclipse. Although the ETX-70 has a rear port for direct SLR photography, it only works for objects up to about 40 deg from the horizon - otherwise the base and the camera attempt to occupy the same space! The Sun will be rather higher than that in Turkey."

Does the same limitation apply to the use of LPI/Webcam - recently purchased a Toucam Pro II.

Thanks

Neill

More
18 years 9 months ago #19794 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: lidl refractor telescope
I got the etx70 last year with a view to using it in turkey.
After using it, I've decided to bring my 4" F5 refractor instead, so I'm not bringing the etx on the trip.
I found for objects as big as the moon/sun you really have to use the direct port (not the diagonal) in order to avoid serious field curvature so this would mean building a wooden wedge, the scope also suffers form chromatic abberation, something I want to avoid on eclipse images.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #19797 by Neill
Replied by Neill on topic Re: lidl refractor telescope
Hi,

Regarding imaging the eclipse - how would using just a toucam pro II and a laptop work? You would have to build some sort of make shift solar filter for the webcam, right? Would the images be any good or would they be really small?

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds