Drive you mad!

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #19506 by Conor
Drive you mad! was created by Conor
Heres a post some of you might find good reading. Its about the fireball over austrila. People are trying to make out that a fireball and a meteor are the same thing.
Martin being Martinastro and myself being Lightning strike

www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/th...id=25859&start=1

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19510 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Drive you mad!

Heres a post some of you might find good reading. Its about the fireball over austrila. People are trying to make out that a fireball and a meteor are the same thing. Martin and myself and trying to explain but to there knewledge its no use Martin being Martinastro and myself being Lightning strike. feel free join and post some words into these people lol

Conor,

I think perhaps both you and Martin are a bit confused yourselves and confusing others on that forum. A fireball is a bright meteor with luminosity which equals or exceeds that of the brightest planets. What PaulKn said was quite correct, i.e a fireball is just a bright meteor yet you misinterpreted his comments. This is what he said:

"PaulKn: So essentially you are agreeing with me! A fireball is a bright meteor, which is what I said in the first place!"

and this is what you said:

"Lightning Strike: No, i do not agree with your because your wrong. A meteor is NOT a fireball. A fireball is much larger than a meteor. They may be made of the same thing but it doesnt make sense to say a meteor is the same as a fireball"

As you can see, you juxtaposed his words. Because of luminosity, most meteors are not fireballs but all fireballs are indeed meteors.

Gordon

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #19511 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Drive you mad!
Gordon. We are confused, we think we know what were talking about here and to say that were confused about something so simple in a subject which we are very highly into is quite an insult .What do you mean by saying 'you juxtaposed his words' :?
He was making out that he could say that what he saw on that video was a meteor, which is incorrect. It was a fireball! Of course i know fireballs and meteors are the same things in certain ways. He said a meteor and a fireball was the same thing which is wrong. If you saw a particle brighter than -4 it's a fireball not a meteor. Though they may be made of the same material but there still different!

More
18 years 9 months ago #19513 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Drive you mad!
www.answers.com/fireball&r=67

As Gordon said, a fireball is a meteor so if someone claimed they saw a fireball, they could equally say they saw a meteor. Describing it as a fireball is simply a means of describing the brightness of the meteor.
It's a bit like saying "I saw a car" and saying "I saw a Renault Megane".

More
18 years 9 months ago #19514 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Drive you mad!

[
It's a bit like saying "I saw a car" and saying "I saw a Renault Megane".

I don't like those cars Mike... :lol:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #19516 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Drive you mad!
If it is a meteor(i dont agree) why was there a term fireball made for then? It doesnt come down to a choice of whether you want to call it a meteor of a fireball it automatically becomes a fireball after -4 mag

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds