K-Tec

Drive you mad!

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #19523 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Drive you mad!

This is a game of words and confusing for some but we are not confused. That object on the footage is classified as a fireball because it is brighter than mag -4.5, this is pretty basic stuff and there is a VERY distinct difference between meteors and fireballs. This was the point of the discussion. NO amateur astronomer on this board who seen an object at mag - 27 say would say they just seen a bright meteor. It is a fireball plain and simple which is the point i am trying to get across.

Martin & Conor,
I've nothing to gain from disagreeing with either of you. You're both excellent observers and are very dedicated to the hobby. I wish everyone had your level of enthusasim and interest in the hobby. We could do with more people like yourself here on these boards. All I'm doing is simply trying to help. If you don't believe me, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you don't believe myself, Dave Lillis and the dictionary, I doubt anything else I say will convince you, nor will I try any further. If you like, you could create a poll and ask people here to vote on the matter. Hopefully, that may assist you both.
Anyway, it's clear outside so I'm going out observing for the evening.
Talk later,

Michael i hope i dont sound anyway :evil: . :( I fully understand where you are seated in this situation and im glad you entered your oponion and thanks for the help
Cheers Conor :)

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19527 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Drive you mad!
Yea i see some clear gaps appearing here so keep an eye out for aurora activity tonight. I want to watch that documentry on BBC1 first though..

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 9 months ago #19542 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Drive you mad!

Gordon. We are confused, we think we know what were talking about here and to say that were confused about something so simple in a subject which we are very highly into is quite an insult .What do you mean by saying 'you juxtaposed his words' :?
He was making out that he could say that what he saw on that video was a meteor, which is incorrect. It was a fireball! Of course i know fireballs and meteors are the same things in certain ways. He said a meteor and a fireball was the same thing which is wrong. If you saw a particle brighter than -4 it's a fireball not a meteor. Though they may be made of the same material but there still different!

I know you're confused. That's what I'm to get across to you. However, I am not trying to insult you, just correct a misunderstanding. The definition I gave for a fireball is the official IAU definition, i.e "A fireball is a bright meteor with luminosity which equals or exceeds that of the brightest planets." I don't understand why you are trying to make out that a fireball is something different? It's not. It's just a term used for a particularly bright meteor.

Gordon

More
18 years 9 months ago #19544 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Drive you mad!

[
It's a bit like saying "I saw a car" and saying "I saw a Renault Megane".

I don't like those cars Mike... :lol:

Hey! I had a Renault Megane a few years ago. Lovely car! :)

Gordon

More
18 years 9 months ago #19545 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Drive you mad!
It's good to see that at least two people here have good taste in cars....
:)

More
18 years 9 months ago #19546 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic Re: Drive you mad!
I think it was the noted autmotive Engineer Shane Culleton, that called it a ducks a**e of a car. :lol:

regards

Kildare Astronomy Society
www.kildareastronomy.com

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds