K-Tec

My Nov Observing Highlights!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19610 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: My Nov Observing Highlights!
LOL Dave now i will have to try even harder tonight!!!! By the way congrats on your article in Astronomy And Space Magazine this month. It is excellent and makes me feel proud that you put amateurs here on the map!! Great stuff Dave :wink:

John that sounds like a great book and the link on SW is excellent. I have a book called 'out of the blue' which is fantatsic as well. Now that i have a new camera i must try and capture more of these atmospheric phenomena. Watch this space :D

I have never heard of those kind of arcs before...im very curious now.

Clear skies tonight!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19612 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: My Nov Observing Highlights!
hi Martin,

yes, John Naylor's book is very good in covering all aspects of observing the sky with the unaided eye. There was very little material on atmospheric optics for a long time but thankfully more books on the subject are around now.

have a look at www.sundog.clara.co.uk/halo/spanti.htm#arcs for that info on the Tricker arcs.

atb,

John

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19633 by martinastro
Thanks for that John. I will study it in detail later tonight. I am getting the crimbo tree put up this evening as well as fiting in observing around that.

Is there a link explaining camera settings for imaging these atmospherics?

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 9 months ago #19879 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: My Nov Observing Highlights!

I am getting the crimbo tree put up this evening as well as fiting in observing around that.

That conjures up an amusing image - you prancing around the tree, telescope in hand... :lol:

Thanks for the kind words on the article and glad you liked it. I was told it would be a 'news item' and expected a paragraph. But was pleasantly surprised. And I'm glad it was published so other folks can have a go.

Judging by recent contributions to these boards in terms of astrophotography, the bar just keeps getting higher and higher!

And Martin - you never heard of tricker arcs before? :roll:

Cheers
Dave

(me neither :wink: )

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19891 by martinastro
LOL..thats a new one for me.

Im glad you got good acclaim Dave and its very well deserved!!!

Keep watching the sky and in particular those galaxies :wink:

regards

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds