K-Tec

NGC and M Field guide

More
18 years 9 months ago #19701 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: NGC and M Field guide
Here's a sample from the Observing Handbook and Deep-Sky Observing Guide. Who needs sketches with descriptions like this?!

Taurus - oc 1647 - diam. 40' - V=6.4 - stars 117

In 6cm, this is a large, widespread cluster of about 40 stars in a 45' area. A bright pair of mag. 9 stars lies near the center (32"; 110 degs), with a fainter companion just S of it. In larger instruments , the stars appear in pairs or groups of three. In 15cm at least 45 stars are visible within 40' diameter, the groups separated by a minute or two of arc. Most of the stars are within a sharpely bounded circle 30' across in 25cm, with outliers spreading to 60'. In the smaller area are 60 stars distributed without concentration. In 30cm the cluster is too widespread to view in its entirety: at low powers it is a loose collection of widely separated small groups.

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19702 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: NGC and M Field guide
Thanks lads, some excellent resources and advice..No it does not have to be pictorial, just as long as it can describe in detail what I am looking for. I think the Night Sky Observer's Guide or the Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects might be just the ticket for me...

Thanks again for all your help

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 9 months ago #19704 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: NGC and M Field guide
Trevor,

The online NGC catalog referenced above is excellent and is what I had in mind when I first read your message. Also, there are excellent books by O'Meara which address many gems of the night sky including his books on the Messier and Caldwell catalogs.

Please see the following for further information:

www.shopatsky.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=213
www.shopatsky.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=218

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 9 months ago #19705 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: NGC and M Field guide

Thanks lads, some excellent resources and advice..No it does not have to be pictorial, just as long as it can describe in detail what I am looking for. I think the Night Sky Observer's Guide or the Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects might be just the ticket for me...

Thanks again for all your help

the night sky observers guide is pretty useful for this. maybe we could tie it back to a previous suggestion in a previous thread. www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1993
as it is somewhat along a similar vein?.
stephen.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19728 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: NGC and M Field guide

Also, there are excellent books by O'Meara which address many gems of the night sky including his books on the Messier and Caldwell catalogs.

Please see the following for further information:

www.shopatsky.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=213
www.shopatsky.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=218

Anthony.

Great books, but a terrible shop in terms of shipping and handling charges. I've ordered from them on Monday evening and had the stuff on my desk by noon Friday. Unfortunately speed costs.

The O'Meara books are great though. By the way, Sky Publishing have sponsored a copy of the Messier book by Steve O'Meara to be awarded as a prize to the first person to complete John F's Binocular challenge!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
18 years 9 months ago #19736 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: NGC and M Field guide
Shane,

No argument from me regarding the S&T shipping costs. In fact, it is the ONLY reason that all of my transactions with the magazine have been on the subscription side. I have been fortunate to have work appear in the magazine and all of the complementary gift certificates were used for extending my subscription and nothing else. :cry:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds