K-Tec

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ -- THINK before you post

More
18 years 7 months ago #23392 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ -- THINK before you post
Personally, I have felt for about 2 years now that there is a lot lacking in the strcture of the threads presented, and closed minds about the addition of new ones. Renaming of others, IMO, is also needed.

Why not have new ones added when requested? Loads of other boards (Mikado as an example) have LOADS of threads, some of which are a little mundane. If there's even a small interest by only a few members of these boards, then why hold off creating a thread that suits their interest because that said interest is small (History of Astronomy as an example, where currently, to my knowledge, I could name the few individuals of these boards that would get use of it)?

Diversity is good - don't call it clutter!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23399 by voyager
Intereseting you should mention Mikado, they have been working to de-clutter their boards for quite a while now! I stand by my policy of not making boards unless there is demand.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 7 months ago #23403 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ -- THINK before you post

I stand by my policy of not making boards unless there is demand.

Understood. But, what is the minimum 'demand' number required? We're not talking ethnics here, but where does that leave minorities that would like to have a dedicated board for their own clutter?

Like Frank's question about a History of Astronomy thread as an example. He has been working for almost 3 years on the Markree Catalogue, and so far as we can tell, is the only person in Ireland doing so, which is a shame. He hopes that, by entering the catalogues stellar co-ordinates as recorded in the 1840's and 50's into something like Redshift, to see if Neptune could indeed have been 'discovered' by an Irish astronomer first, as well as other projects.

Where can he promote this interest of his so that others may follow without it becoming lost in the clutter of the General section? It can then only be found by a Search, and those that have used the Search function know how accurate that is... :?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23406 by voyager
I look at things on a case by case basis. If someone comes to me with a proposal and says that they will be posting actively to the board themselves and starting threads to try drum up interest then the chances are I'll run with it for a while and see if it takes.

A front page that needs too much scrolling is very daunting for people and sections with only 2 or 3 threads are just a waste of space and actually give a very negative impression of what ever the topic on the near empty board is about.

Bart.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23407 by Seanie_Morris

A front page that needs too much scrolling is very daunting for people and sections with only 2 or 3 threads are just a waste of space and actually give a very negative impression of what ever the topic on the near empty board is about.

Bart.

Hhmm...I look at it differently, I see it as though many, MANY aspects of the hobby and its associated interests are caterd for, and all visitors connected to the hobby catered for as well.

Another example is to perhaps an Atmospherics Astronomy thread, so that Martin and Conor can clutter that one on their own.

Midlands Astronomy Club.

More
18 years 7 months ago #23409 by voyager

Another example is to perhaps an Atmospherics Astronomy thread, so that Martin and Conor can clutter that one on their own.

You know I was thinking EXACTLY that this morning.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds