K-Tec

Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 6 months ago #24758 by dmcdona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #24760 by voyager
If by interesting you mean very worrying then yes ...... this is not good :?

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 6 months ago #24768 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....
Jeeze, is there anything we humans can't do that screws up everything?!?! :?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 6 months ago #24774 by donkearns
Replied by donkearns on topic Re: Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....
Of course they could be wrong in their findings. :D

You may have noticed that many people are now preferring to use the term "climate change" instead of "global warming". This is because the evidence is inconclusive. Have a read of Michael Crichton's book "State of Fear" for more info.A good read backed up by substantial research and references.

Contrails should also reduce as a problem if the aerospace industry proceeds with it's plans to have air travel (long range) go out of the atmosphere, making coast to coast trips in the USA and transatlantic trips from Europe to the USA last only minutes.

Don

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

More
18 years 6 months ago #24784 by albertw

You may have noticed that many people are now preferring to use the term "climate change" instead of "global warming". This is because the evidence is inconclusive. Have a read of Michael Crichton's book "State of Fear" for more info.A good read backed up by substantial research and references.

And not that the USA and others lobbied to have the references in the UNEP changed from "Gobal warming" to "global warming and climate change" to now the safe sounding "climate change"? "climate change" is used because it sounds a lot less scary than "global warming"

The global climate isnt getting any colder thats for sure. www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/005.htm

www.wunderground.com/education/stateoffear.asp has an interesting take on Crichton's book. Dr Gavin Schmidt in NASA also has a good review www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=74
I'll admit I only flicked through it in a bookshop, it looked like crap fiction novel to me :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #24790 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....
All this actually reminds me about this picture below:

Contrail Clutter over Georgia, USA - October 13th 2004

There was a report ( read it here ) about how temperatures went up by at least 1.1 degrees celcius each day for 3 days after the 9/11 attacks, due to the hiatus on air traffic over the United States:

The thin wisps of condensation that trail jet airliners have a significant influence on the climate, according to scientists who studied U.S. skies during a rare interruption in national air traffic after the September 11 terrorist attacks.

During the three-day commercial flight hiatus, when the artificial clouds known as contrails all but disappeared, the variations in high and low temperatures increased by 1.1 degrees Celsius (2 degrees Fahrenheit) each day, said meteorological researchers.

While the temperature range is significant, whether the jet clouds have a net effect on global warming remains unknown.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds