K-Tec

Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....

More
18 years 6 months ago #24793 by Johnno
:shock: That's it, I've had enough of them contrails...

Where's me 20mW laser pointer.

Johnno

Kildare Astronomy Society
www.kildareastronomy.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #24795 by albertw

Where's me 20mW laser pointer.

Only 20? ;-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #24800 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....
So we give up flying to get rid of contrails, and this increases global warming because of less solar reflection. More global warming probably means more cloud as the oceans evaporate, so one way or the other we aren't going to see the sky for much longer ? Kind of self-defeating. I remember watching a program on the effect of grounded aircraft on the temperature rise in the US after 9/11, and it struck me as very ironic at the time.
Damned if you do and damned......

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 6 months ago #24802 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....

Of course they could be wrong in their findings. :D

I really do think its quite alarmist. If it were to be the case that there was to be that much cloud cover, then surely astronomy would be the least of our worries!! With that much cloud cover then surely temperatures globally would begin to rise exponentially and we'd be like venus in no time!!

I'm pinning my hopes on the big freeze theory for north western europe that says that the melting ice disrups the gulf stream and we end up with a big freeze and hopefully less cloud!!

Who really knows for sure? I dont think anyone does.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 6 months ago #24803 by voyager

Of course they could be wrong in their findings. :D

You may have noticed that many people are now preferring to use the term "climate change" instead of "global warming". This is because the evidence is inconclusive. Have a read of Michael Crichton's book "State of Fear" for more info.A good read backed up by substantial research and references.

Contrails should also reduce as a problem if the aerospace industry proceeds with it's plans to have air travel (long range) go out of the atmosphere, making coast to coast trips in the USA and transatlantic trips from Europe to the USA last only minutes.

Don

I've done a lot of reading and research on this and I'm sorry to say that you simply cannot deny that the world is warming up. The evidence for that is over-whelming. What is debatable is whether it is us doing it or just part of the a natural climate cycle but even that debate is not really much of a debate anymore. The evidence is pretty conclusive that we are buggering up our climate.

Where some uncertainty still lies is with the predictions into the future. How will these changes evolve into the future and exactly what knock-on effects will the changes have?

What cannot be doubted is that there will be dramatic changes and that the sooner we stop buggering up the atmosphere the better!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 6 months ago #24806 by spaceboy
Replied by spaceboy on topic Re: Hold on to your Telescope savings fund....
Hey DG!

Maybe everyone should travel by train instead? :P

Spaceboy

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds