K-Tec

Announcement J62

More
18 years 3 months ago #28282 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Announcement J62
Hmm - how's about 500 quid each? :D

Seriously, if this is a workshop session that can be held at Whirlpool with the blessing of the organisers, I don't see that anyone needs to pay. But I wouldn't say no if you were to hand over your SSIA...

Jared - that's a great summary and covers everything about astrometry! I certainly have practical material that could be used to illustrate the workshop and I'm sure I could cobble together some equipment too for practical demos. And I'm sure Eamonn would have plenty to contribute too.

I thought about a title called 'doing science in amateur astronomy' but I think that would be too broad and each subject would only get a fraction of the attention. However, there wouldn't be any harm in covering what 'could' be done in the first few foils then concentrating on what is probably the most accessible science project - astrometry.

I'll make enquiries as to whether the Whirlpool organisers can/want to facilitate this. But if there's only a bit of interest it might not be a goer.

Is anyone else interested?

If its not a goer at Whirlpool, I'd be prepared to put a detailed presentation together with Eamonn that we could make available to interested folks...

Eamonn - any comments?

Cheers

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 3 months ago #28290 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Announcement J62
Guys I'd happily fork out too if needed. I know its a big ask but what about asking a professional astronomer to present a lecture? It might cost a little bit the expenses front but I'm sure there would be enough interest to cover it without asking individualks to shell out too much.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 3 months ago #28294 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Announcement J62
I would be interested in putting together material on astrometry for publication. This may be a good route to go and let the workshop route evolve with more members in time. I think we need a few more interested members in the next while. This could be announced as a separate posting on IFAS to trigger this off. At least it will highlight the fact that the workshop would go ahead if there is enough interest.

The IFAS posting if announced, provides an opportunity for potential asteroid observers, how they might progress from visual observing to CCD astrometry on minor planets, comets, supernovae, gamma ray bursters. How worthwhile this endeavour is for providing in some cases important measurements for others to use for future follow up.

It makes more sense to have a practical astrometry type workshop, where members instrumentation are already in use for improving there galaxy images. Where they can improve the standard of there instrumentation that would be capable of doing astrometry, but also widening the possibilties of long exposure duration imaging of many other candidates. On the other hand casual observers would learn first hand how others do practical hands on science from others, which may trigger them into getting into doing some science.

I believe there will be interest at different levels with different experiences and knowledge and that each person may learn and make use of there existing instrumentation.

Eamonn A

More
18 years 3 months ago #28305 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Announcement J62
Dave - I think we have enough expertise here free of charge TBH... And a professional astronmer maybe a case of sledgehammer-nut syndrome unless you have someone in mind of course! And in that case, I'd be game.

Eamonn - I think there's a fair bit of material already out there in web-land. If folks do a search on astrometry, there's tons of hits come back. I think the issue people are raising here relate to not being able to spend time reading/understanding the material. I think a practical hands-on workshop seems to be the customer requirement... I could knock together a quick 40 minute presenation, 20 mins for question. That's only an hour. A quiet area at lunch in Whirpool would be enough... I don't mind if the audience amount to two or three folks... It could be followed up with a more substantial publication as well...

And you make a very valid point indeed. I'll re-iterate for all because I have first hand experience. The rigours of astrometry absolutely improve your imaging ability - so there really is major win-win scenario. Not only can you now do real science, but your pretty pictures *will* improve significantly.

Even more, if you get a taste for the science, there's no reason why comets, SN's and GRB could be necxt on the plate. Not to mention extra-solar planets. Now, just think on that - the first extra-solar planet discovered from Ireland... Bit of a stretch know, but hey.....

Dave

More
18 years 3 months ago #28306 by Jared Macphester
Replied by Jared Macphester on topic Re: Announcement J62
If we keep this up for a short while more we may set the longest thread record.

You know this is moving in a very interesting direction, I havent a clue what the general interest level is (or might be) but it would be worth doing this to see if it works as an approach. Just to do the test as it were.
There are a number of fundementally sound ideas here that could have a future. Firstly - everyone here is doing something that is of interest to everyone else. You are developing and using techniques that for sure everyone else would love to know. How much money do you spend on magazines, books and what all over the course of a year in order to get at practical information. Between us all we could probably fill a multi volume textbook.
Another thread is the concept that with all that equipment and talent perhaps there is a little spare capicity, in each, to get involved in some sort of distributed project. Something that a group could cooperate on, perform synchronized measurements of some sort. Perhaps there is no immediate big project but, again, a few test projects to hone techniques and develop expertise. Compare results and begint to look around, who knows, things grow.

Give it a thought. Perhaps a new thread if there is interest?

And so to bed....

JMP

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds