• wellbuttie
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 2 months ago #30469 by wellbuttie
introduction was created by wellbuttie
Hi there (total newbie here!!)

Just a quick post to introduce myself, having just got into this wonderful hobby!

I just want to say how much of a valuable learning resource this site has been for me after a few months of "lurking" in the background.

The beginners, astrophotgraphy, equipment and computers in astronomy sections have in particular, been very informative for me, and its great to be able to benefit from the experience those who are much more advanced in astronomy (by a long shot!!) than me.

Just wondering however, are there any members near enough to the Waterford area in order to knock heads together!!!

Keep up the good work folks!!!!

Steve

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #30470 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: introduction
Welcome aboard!

There are a few folks from waterford on here who are involved with Deise Astronomy Club. www.deiseastronomy.com/ has more details

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 2 months ago #30471 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: introduction
Welcome to the board from another newbie ;) :D

• wellbuttie
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 2 months ago #30472 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: introduction
Thanx lads!!!

Much appreciated, al and eric!!!

also thanks for the DAS link there albert!!

Hopefully at some time in the future I'll get to grips with this "hobby", and be able to post something worthwhile..however it has been very rewarding so far!!

Especially the first sightings of the rings of saturn, jupiter (GRS and all) + its Galilean moons and the behive cluster!!!!

.... all with my simple 3.7 inch refractor (bought 2nd hand for €100) ... it will allow me to learn the skies before upgrading to something more formidable ..........mind you i have had to remortagage the house for the accessories I have purchased so far!!... but worth every penny!!!

thanks again lads

Steve

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

More
18 years 2 months ago #30473 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: introduction
Welcome aboard Steve - you're gonna have to explain Wellbuttie though :D

Cheers

Dave

• wellbuttie
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 2 months ago #30474 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: introduction
hi dave

"wellbuttie" is a typical waterford greeting!!! Usually to people that you would consider a friend.

Perhaps derived from such famous greetings as " well boy"(waterford too!... but not as personal!!!!) and "howya bud" (Dublin),

The "buttie" part means friend (as in "bud" ... short for "buddy" however allowing for waterford linquistic skills the "d" is replaced with a "t". The "well" part is a very short abbreviation of "Well, how are your today" (i think).

In context try this : "Well, butty ( i tend to use "ie" rather than the "y" for butty), you were in de horrars las' night boi!"="Hello, my friend, you were quite drunk last night,sir!" the correct pronunciation is available at the following hyperlink " www.mad-blaa.com/dict/butty.wav "

To find out about our language (which i am still learning right up to this time...myself!!)... a full dictionary is available at " www.mad-blaa.com/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia "

... mmm maybe thats why i am a spacer.. dave!!!

BTW... very impressed with your setup!!

Steve

Steve Roche
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds