K-Tec

Duty and VAT

More
17 years 9 months ago #36366 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Duty and VAT
Now this is a funny coincidence. I was just about to reply to say that it is rare that I've received anything from outside Europe without getting caught for duty and VAT until the doorbell rang. It was the postman with a TV Powermate from Australia.

No customs or duty despite the value being written on the outside of the package :D

Go figure!

Trev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #36368 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Duty and VAT
Trevor,

Perhaps this time of the year is best to make our purchases since volume will be higher than usual and, in their efforts to move as much of it as quickly as possible, packages such as yours will "sneak" through.

I am told that the size of the package plays a major role and irrespective of any declared value written on the outside. The smaller the package, the much greater the likelihood it will get through unchecked and with no taxes.

I forgot to mention in my previous message about my Tak FSQ-106 ... which cost me $300 ( :wink: ) and the total tax bill was something like 83 euro. These are taxes I can accept, handle and be more than happy to pay. :lol:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 9 months ago #36387 by supergiant
Replied by supergiant on topic ?
monoply monoply, i paid 51%vat on a electronics item shipped about half a mile from where i live,

Magnificent Universe

My equiptment . celestron firstscope 80EQ, 20mm and 10mm eyepieces.

More
17 years 9 months ago #36433 by jfa15ie
Replied by jfa15ie on topic Re: Duty and VAT
Anthony

Spill the beans. How did you get all that cheapo AP and TAK gear? A cousin maybe, in the USA, who relabled the value of the goods, and forwarded them on to you? :roll: Go on, give us his address. He could go into the freight management and logistics business on Irish astro gear alone. A lot of pent up demand here, at the right price of course.

James

More
17 years 9 months ago #36514 by Kerry Stargazer
Replied by Kerry Stargazer on topic Re: Duty and VAT
This reminds of a time when my brother bought a small radio kit worth £25 sterling in 1983 duly sent in the post. When it arrived it had a bill from Customs of £30 punts (remember them?). Needless to say my father hit the roof and told the postman to return it. Things have not change. So much for the EU and customer choice.

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)

More
17 years 9 months ago #36515 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Duty and VAT
Well, you can buy any astro goodie now within the EU without paying VAT here. You just pay the VAT in the country of origin. No other charges should apply.

From outside the EU however, things are the same as before, unfortunately! :x

Regards,

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds