Hello, I'm New Here! PADDY'S IN SPACE!

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 8 months ago #37987 by John37309
Hello, I'm New Here! PADDY'S IN SPACE! was created by John37309
Hello folks, I'm John. I'm new to your boards. I thought it might be a good idea to do a short introduction.

My First thoughts about your message boards are that they are confusing. Maby over time, and through debait with other members, you have develloped the amount of topics on your main Index that are there. I signed up about 3 days ago and the main topics make no more sense now than when i first read them. Just an observation while its fresh on my mind.

About me, I have a small telescope. I dont know how you rate them but the diameter of the barrel is about 5 or 6 inches. It cost about €400 back in the late 90's. I never managed to get it to focus properly and now it sits in storage awaiting my return.

Most of my astrnomy now is done online in the comfort of a cup of coffee and the computer.

I got involved in the seti@home project in the last fue months and i have a small team there called PADDY'S IN SPACE. If you are not fimilar with seti@home it is shared or networked computing. You simply volinteer your computers spare time to analyse the backround noise coming from space. The hope is that some of this noise may be transmitted by another intelegent life form. Lets hope it works some day soon.

If you want to visit the PADDY'S IN SPACE website here is a link
PADDYSINSPACE.SPACES.LIVE.COM

Or if you are already running seti@home and want to join PADDY'S IN SPACE here is a link to where you can join.
setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=127961

This is my e-mail for information, I'm John. If you want help getting involved in seti@home.
paddysinspace@hotmail.com

Look this message board seems to be a welth of information. There are so many topics I dont know where to start reading. I love astronomy, space and science in general. Hopefully i will visit this on a regular basis.

John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #37996 by Kerry Stargazer
Replied by Kerry Stargazer on topic Re: Hello, I'm New Here! PADDY'S IN SPACE!
Welcome John.

Oh that black stuff looks tempting.
Will look over your links in the coming days

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 8 months ago #38000 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Hello, I'm New Here! PADDY'S IN SPACE!
Hi John,

Welcome to the boards. If the categories confuse you then a good place to dive in would be the beginners section. There's lots of ingfo in there which might make the other areas more understandable.

Just a non-astronomy suggestion, but you should never post your email address on a message board. E-mail spammers regularly scan bulletin boards and pick up email addresses so they can send you all their nasty spam mail! On these boards (and many others) people can contact you through the private message function so your address never gets made public.

I've been using seti@home for a while now. I must admit though much as i'd love to see it hit the jackpot, i'm personally skeptical that it will. A couple of years ago i'd have sworn on oath that other intelligent life is out there, but space does seem to be an awful quiet place:( I'm now starting to beleive (for many other reasons too) that we just might living on a very unique planet indeed. Of course I do hope i'm wrong.

Good luck with paddy's in space!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 8 months ago #38004 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Hello, I'm New Here! PADDY'S IN SPACE!

Hello folks, I'm John. I'm new to your boards. I thought it might be a good idea to do a short introduction.

My First thoughts about your message boards are that they are confusing. Maby over time, and through debait with other members, you have develloped the amount of topics on your main Index that are there. I signed up about 3 days ago and the main topics make no more sense now than when i first read them. Just an observation while its fresh on my mind.

About me, I have a small telescope. I dont know how you rate them but the diameter of the barrel is about 5 or 6 inches. It cost about €400 back in the late 90's. I never managed to get it to focus properly and now it sits in storage awaiting my return.

Most of my astrnomy now is done online in the comfort of a cup of coffee and the computer.

I got involved in the seti@home project in the last fue months and i have a small team there called PADDY'S IN SPACE. If you are not fimilar with seti@home it is shared or networked computing. You simply volinteer your computers spare time to analyse the backround noise coming from space. The hope is that some of this noise may be transmitted by another intelegent life form. Lets hope it works some day soon.

If you want to visit the PADDY'S IN SPACE website here is a link
PADDYSINSPACE.SPACES.LIVE.COM

Or if you are already running seti@home and want to join PADDY'S IN SPACE here is a link to where you can join.
setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=127961

This is my e-mail for information, I'm John. If you want help getting involved in seti@home.
paddysinspace@hotmail.com

Look this message board seems to be a welth of information. There are so many topics I dont know where to start reading. I love astronomy, space and science in general. Hopefully i will visit this on a regular basis.

John.

john,
welcome to IFAS boards. as dave says i would start at the beginner section and post your queries there, someone here will either know the answer or point you in the direction of it. IFAS also has it's own team for seti@home setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=39697
which has been going for a few years now, it is good to see there are more irish teams out there. some people would see the effort as pointless but you got to start somewhere and even if it doesn't find anything we will have at least learned something, maybe radio waves are too primitive for your discerning alien.
stephen.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38005 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Hello, I'm New Here! PADDY'S IN SPACE!

John.

Hi John,
Welcome aboard, I hope with time you'll find this site very useful, what most people here do is
click on "Bulletin boards" on the front page,
then click on "view posts since last visit" on the next page, to the upper right.
This way you dont miss anything new

Can you elaborate more on what you didnt like, its good to get an opinion from someone with fresh eyes, was it the list of forums on the bulletin board or was it the front page layout??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 8 months ago #38036 by John37309
Replied by John37309 on topic Re: Hello, I'm New Here! PADDY'S IN SPACE!

John.

Hi John,
Welcome aboard, I hope with time you'll find this site very useful, what most people here do is
click on "Bulletin boards" on the front page,
then click on "view posts since last visit" on the next page, to the upper right.
This way you dont miss anything new

Can you elaborate more on what you didnt like, its good to get an opinion from someone with fresh eyes, was it the list of forums on the bulletin board or was it the front page layout??

Hi Dave lillis,
And to the others who have welcomed me, Thank you.

Dave, it was just my annitial observation of the board and no offence is ment by it. As i went through the various sections of the board and what was posted in them, I was confused as to what to post and where i should post it. I read a lott of the stickey notices in each section and i started to get the picture. But i had to read a lot of messages before i understood the set up.

I see from the members list that numbers are now approching 1000 members. But many of the new members are not posting anything at all. I mean not even an introduction or hello. It was 3 days after sign up that i got a response from Admin saying that i could post. Thats fine with me, i am willing to wait and come back when the notice arrives. I well understand the reasons for moderating sign up entry but maby some more Administrators could be appointed or something. I also know that many people just want to read the posts and not post messages themselves.

If you were writing a letter to someone new, the best way to get your message accross is by making a small number of simple to follow headings. Then elaberate under thoes headings. The front page of this BB message board has 23 headings, many of them are almost the same or might aswell be in the same catagory.

I'm sure that i'm not the only first time visitor to have found this confusing and not bothered to come back. I have visited a lott of message boards in the last fue months and the most successful and used boards are the simple ones. They seem to be the boards with the largest numbers of regular visitors.

Look i'm sure admin here must have noticed the amount of people who have never posted anything. I would view this as a missed opertunity to share the wonderful information that can be learned from this board. Its a missed "sale". In sales that could send you under. Keep it simple. That way you dont frighten off new customers(Friends of Astronomy) who went to the trouble of signing up in the first place.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds