K-Tec

SETI....Worthless rubbish OR Worth Trying Anyway

More
17 years 8 months ago #38140 by ftodonoghue
take me to your leader............

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 8 months ago #38141 by John37309
I know we will succeed. Definatly!

Its only a matter of time, That is the bit thats hard to measure.

Mankind has spent 2000 years following a guy they called the son of god.

A God that there is no tangible evidence of his existance appart from human beleaf and here say.

I dont think we will ever stop looking at the stars and listening to what radio waves are coming from them.

Many of todays telescopes and satalites are looking at parts of the electromagnetic spectrum that we cant see in visible light anyway. They doctor the picture so we can see it .

seti@home is a noble quest that mankind is attempting. Its our feebal attempt to listen for life. life that is very precious. Read the first post in this thread and come and join my team.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38142 by dmcdona

I know we will succeed. Definatly!

Its only a matter of time, That is the bit thats hard to measure.

With Arecebo probably gone in the next few years, what other technology is SETI using or does it propose to use?

Do you see SETI going on ice until that technology and funding becomes available?

Bart makes a good point - I understand that SETI is looking at small portions of the sky at very narrow frequencies - and it isn't 24/7 coverage. Perhaps ETI signals are there - but we've missed them because we were looking in the wrong place at the wrong time at the wrong frequency.

Technically, perhaps we're not ready to discover ETI. Morover, perhaps we're not socially ready to discover ETI...

More
17 years 8 months ago #38143 by jhoare
You may be right. In many parts of this world of ours there are some folks who aren't ready to live with humans who behave or think a little differently. Imagine the trouble and strife that there'd be if they had to deal with aliens!

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38144 by Kerry Stargazer
Replied by Kerry Stargazer on topic Re: SETI....Worthless rubbish OR Worth Trying Anyway
There is a down side to looking for E.Ts if and when we do make contact we mightn’t like what we find. There is a school of thought out there that we’d be better off keeping or heads down and wait a few more centuries before announcing our self’s. Remember "V"

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)

More
17 years 8 months ago #38149 by stepryan

take me to your leader............

bertie would be a bad example of humankind ;).

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds