K-Tec

SETI....Worthless rubbish OR Worth Trying Anyway

More
17 years 8 months ago #38427 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: SETI....Worthless rubbish OR Worth Trying Anyway
I started running Seti@Home shortly after it came out (97 or 98 I think?) on a 486DX (Imagine how slow that was ;-))

Went back to it a couple of times but stopped when they ported to the BOINC platform as that was more obtrusive than a simple scr app.

A number of years ago I read an interview with some scientists involved in the project who believed it was a worthwhile project, but they did point out that it was unlikely that any advanced civilisation would be visible in the radio frequency range for long; they believed that once you progressed beyond a certain point that communications would gradually change to a more focused tight signal technology, e.g. what is happening here now with satellite communications. So eventually the spillout of radio signals would decrease.

That said, I've downloaded it again and will give it a whack on the desktop machine. Maybe we'll get lucky! :D

Trev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 8 months ago #38436 by John37309
Trevor, Consider my team when you get going.

Keanan, If i change my sig to something non irish, will you vote yes?
(gentle vote rigging)

The vote is not a truely impartial vote anyway. I have intentionally worded it that way. If you were voting in your local elections and the voting card had a big Fianna Fail sticker on the bottom of it, would'nt there be a massive out cry of vote rigging.

I think my avatar and signiture are a clear indication of what way i voted.
also i could have been much more politically correct in the words that are displayed when you make your decision.

I think most people well understand this and the poll is just a rough guide as to people's thinking.
..................................................................................................
Seti@home is a very simple thing that i can do in my own home to help in the search for life elsewhere in the universe.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38439 by albertw

Went back to it a couple of times but stopped when they ported to the BOINC platform as that was more obtrusive than a simple scr app.

Its a little more involved now but you should have no problems getting it going on windows. I guess the thing to remember is that bionc isnt seti@home, once you have boinc set up then you can join seti@home or one of any number of other projects.

I did a little bit of work on the solaris x86 version, the cool thing about it is how easy (relativly!) it is to get your own processing dished out to clients to process which is why you have so many projects using it. Now if more of those projects supported Solaris SPARC they would get a lot more work units from me :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 8 months ago #38441 by phoenix
Seti is searching the radio frequencies which assumes that another civilisation is broadcasting random signals similar to us. OSETI is searching for optical signals and assumes that an itelligent civilisation is actively trying to communicate with others. I personally think that OSETI is a very long shot given our own politcal and financial constraints. However at the end of the day, regardless of the results, it is better to be able to say that we tried.
I would be happy with signs of non intelligent life, either microbes in the Martian sub surface or in the seas of Europa or Enceladus. Evidence of life in these harse environments would provide fairly compeling proof that nature abhors a vacuum.

Kieran

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 8 months ago #38442 by dave_lillis
My thoughts exactly, if life can exist in 3 separate and isolated places in 1 solar system, then it bodes well for the rest of the galaxy.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• John37309
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 8 months ago #38458 by John37309
We will see if this works.

{edit}Did'nt work.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds