Quantum Leap - thoughts...

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 5 months ago #43226 by dmcdona
Quantum Leap - thoughts... was created by dmcdona
Folks - I'll be recording a spot for the Quantum Leap (RTE Radio 1) next Wednesday for broadcast on the following Thursday (29th March 8pm).

There are two topics:

1. What's up in the night sky over the next week or two (ie from Thurs 29th to mid April). Let me know your top three targets.

2. What would a total newbie to astronomy do to get into it? Tell me how *you* got into astronomy and what were the biggest problems and how did you solve them.

Fire away!

Cheers

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #43229 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Quantum Leap - thoughts...
Hi Dave

1.With Venus high and bright in the sky, this is definitely one you should cover, no doubt people all over Ireland are wondering what is the bright star high in the west.

2.ISS is back in the evening skies from the 10th April for two weeks. times on kerry astronomyclub.com. It might be no harm if we could get a link to the times on heavens-above on the homepage here . Dont know how people feel about that?

3.anyone with a small scope should check out saturn. You should be able to see the rings with a 60mm scope, maybe even a 50mm

Getting into astronomy,
like most, it happened when I was much younger. Biggest problem was lack of info. try and see if there is a local club nearby. They will be eager to help.

Grab a pair of binoculars and start exploring.

Start looking at the moon. This will spark any budding astronomers interest.

visit irishastronomy.org and download beginners handbook and get a simple guidebook / planisphere. There should be ones in most bookstores.

Start learning the constellations.

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 5 months ago #43236 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Quantum Leap - thoughts...
Hi Dave,

for the 'What's Up' part, you'll get loads of information.

For the 'Got into Astronomy' part myself, I remember when we came home form shopping one Friday night in 1986 (in Canada, I can't remember the time of year). I was 6 or 7 years old. We had just got to the back door, when I spotted Halley's Comet (not knowing it was that at the time). I suppose that could have done it for me. I also remember when I was 5, I was given a pictorial book on the Solar System. It was full of paintings of the planetary landscapes. Venus sure looked like a rotten holiday destination in it! :)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 5 months ago #43237 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Quantum Leap - thoughts...
Folks - that's great - I really like your descriptions of what gave you the kickstart - you don't mind me using them if I get the chance?

Cheers
Dave

More
17 years 5 months ago #43239 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: Quantum Leap - thoughts...
It was through my dad that my passion for astronomy came by! For a beginner, the one thing you should say is dont worry if you cant see anything through your telescope! As with everything it takes time! I couldnt see anything through our first scope apart from the moon for MONTHS! So dont worry , get onto your nearest club and ask for help! the best way to learn is to be taught! :wink:

A biblical last sentence! 8-)

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 5 months ago #43525 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Quantum Leap - thoughts...
Folks - the show is recorded. It will be aired tomorrow night at 8pm on RTE radio 1.

I got a good plug in for these boards so we can hope to get some people floating by asking questions. QL will also link the boards from the RTE site.

There wasn't really any time to get a mention for the Astronomy Day coming up I'm afraid but I'll try and get onto Mooney for that one.

One other thing - it was suggested to me that I write to RTE and ask them about a regular Astronomy slot - what do folks think? Would it be a goer? It would be handy in writing to RTE to say that the amateur community would really like the idea. Perhaps if we did a poll?

Anyhow, hope you enjoy the show and I hope I did a reasonable job :D

Cheers
Dave

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds