K-Tec

Spring tide

More
17 years 5 months ago #44332 by Olwen
Spring tide was created by Olwen
We're planning our wedding for 29 September. It will take place in a marquee in Connemara, near Clifden. I want to check there won't be a spring tide at this time as the garden would become flooded. I have read about equinoctial perigee spring tides. If anyone has an idea whether this may occur I'd be very grateful if they could let me know. Thanks! Olwen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44338 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Spring tide
Olwen, I did a bit of a scavenger hunt and found that unusually high tides are expected in Galway on Sept 9th and October 8th.

www.marine.ie/home/High+Tides+in+September+and+October.htm

Your happy day should be reaonably comfortable being a good few days before the October 8th prediction - but then I don;t have sea legs I'm afraid...

As an aside, tides at Clifden are plus 5 hours and 33 minutes on Dublin times.

You're probably best checking closer to the time. This site gives tide times seven days in advance (add on 5h 33m to the Dublin tides for the Clifden tides).

www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0072

Cheers
Dave

More
17 years 5 months ago #44339 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Spring tide
Hi Olwen,

Your best bet (rather than rely on a bunch of hairy astronomers!) would be to ask at the harbour master's office at Clifden or the nearest fishing port/harbour. They will have a table of spring and neap tides available.

I can understand your worry - I have pictures of my dad (I was but a sprog in nappies at the time!) punting across our flooded garden in a boat at our home near Bray back in the 60s! Rescuing the living room furniture from Bray harbour was a regular chore after it had floated out the door and down the Dargle river!

Hope this helps,

Phil.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44340 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Spring tide
Bad News Olwen.

Full moon is on the 26th September. With a high tide in Galway of 5.4 Meters on the 29th. I've included the tide tables for Galway for September
www.sailing.ie/dynamic/pdf/Tides%20September%20Galway.pdf

Michael.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44341 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Spring tide
Olwen - I've a funny feeling that the news report I posted on unusually high tides is for last year... The tides Michael posted are the highest in the month - so the date of the 9th is definately wrong - at least for 2007...

As Phil says, try a local Clifden sailing club or the Galway harbour master - they'll definately give you the full story.

Phil in nappies - now there's an image...

More
17 years 5 months ago #44366 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Spring tide
Hi,

Check this site . Once you register you can get tidal predictions for any harbour in Ireland including Clifden. Go to this link to request tides for Clifden in September/October once you've completed registration.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds