• nectarine
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Treasurer
  • IFAS Treasurer
More
17 years 4 months ago #45260 by nectarine
trip to Italy..... was created by nectarine
Hi guys,
I'll be in Italy for a couple of weeks end of September and am looking for any interesting astronomical side trips I can do. I'm already planning to go to the Science Museum in Florence cos Gallileo's original telescope is on display there - as he was born in Pisa, is there a museum or anything there commemorating him? I'll also be visiting Naples and am open to any other suggestions.
Thanks & Clear Skies,
Bernie

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45280 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: trip to Italy.....
Hi Bernie,

Not exactly astro, but if you're in Naples try to visit Pompeii it's close to Naples and is on the train if that's how you're travelling.

Michael.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45283 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re: trip to Italy.....
Hi Bernie,

Which cities are you visiting,

John

• nectarine
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Treasurer
  • IFAS Treasurer
More
17 years 4 months ago #45287 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re: trip to Italy.....
Pompeii is already definately on the list thanks! Apparently there's a good National park in that area as well.
Don't know where else I'll be heading yet John - I'm meeting up with a couple of old friends and we aim to use the local train network to get around so am open to ideas really. I'm hoping to start off in Naples and work my way north (have to catch a train to Paris instead of flying back cos I have a ticket for the Argentina/Ireland game on 30th Sep!). I'll be quite happy to spend a few days on the Amalfi coast as it sounds lovely and I've never been that far south before.
Like I said, if anyone's any ideas of good places to visit or interesting museums (with an astronomical slant) I'd love to hear about them....
Bernie

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
17 years 4 months ago #45288 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: trip to Italy.....
If you happen to venture as far north and west as Genova, make sure to visit the aquarium in the recently renovated Porto Antico (old port). l'Aquario di Genova is a fantastic public facility and as a structure is probably unique in Europe. It has made significant scientific contributions to our understanding of the state of the marine environment in the Mediterranean.

And when you've had enough of the aquarium make sure to explore il Porto Antico itself. It's got lots of hidden treasures that appeal to a variety of tastes.

Don't forget the factor 50!

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45294 by dogstar
Replied by dogstar on topic Italian trip
Hi Bernie im just back from a weeks observing at the 1.52m Cassini Telescope in Loinao which is a beautiful little village about 20km outside Bologna 900m above sea level.Anyway if you would like to check out a professional observatory in a beautiful part of italy it would be worth a visit.You can look at their web site www.bo.astro.it/loiano/LoianoHome.html to see if they do tours for the general public anyway have a good time.

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds