• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 3 months ago #47476 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post

15X70 Binoculars
Bray, Co Wicklow

This is all I got a one minute glimps and a two second sketch.
Spotted the moon at 13 :03 UT in a patch of blue sky, did this sketch,13:04UT

I just completed the lunar disc by eye, and lined up Venus with the two horns of the moon, she looked like she had a little time before she headed behind the lunar disc. She looked like a wonderful bright sparkling dot against a vanishing blue sky.

Venus vanished for me in a bunch of grey clouds seconds after this sketch and neither she nor the moon returned. Heavy cloud and some rain ended it for sure :-(

Deirdre Kelleghan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Frank Ryan
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #47477 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Anyone got clear sky today!?!
:evil: :evil:
NOW it clears!?
just after its finished!?
Ahh shur..the Irish weather dosn't surprise me anymore...

what does surprise me is the ammount of people that seem not to be at work!?
:wink:
Anthony,
We are all looking forward to you shots I can assure you!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 3 months ago #47479 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Anyone got clear sky today!?!

Anthony,
We are all looking forward to you shots I can assure you!

Guys and gals,

I started a sequence at 17:15:00 UT+3 and every five minutes thereafter. First contact was 17:59:40 UT+3 and which I captured with half of Venus immersed behind the moon. I also took my regular sequence shot at 18:00:00 UT+3 with a small portion of the Venusian disk still visible.

I am taking a small break right now given Venus is behind the lunar disk and will remain so for another 55 minutes or so.

One thought that crossed my mind while taking the exposures every five minutes for my sequence was "how nice if a plane were to cross the field of view" ... and boy did I just miss an incredible shot with a plane flying relatively low and being quite "colourful". Had I been using my Tak FSQ, I am sure I would have captured it within the same field of view.

Anyway, I must leave so as to slowly prepare for reappearance.

It is truly a stunning site ... I was privy to precisely the same event three years ago and also during the day. Here is a sequence using my C14: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Lunar-Occult-2004-05-21D.htm ....

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 3 months ago #47480 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Anyone got clear sky today!?!
At The Cloud Appreciation Society we love clouds, we’re not ashamed to say it and we’ve had enough of people moaning about them. And see how we are fighting the banality of ‘blue-sky thinking’. If you agree with what we stand for, then join the society for a minimal postage and administration fee and receive your very own official membership certificate and badge.
www.cloudappreciationsociety.org/

Yeah right, I know what they can do with their membership certificate and badge and it is definitely a place where the Sun don’t shine!
I wondered lonely as a cloud That floats on high o'er vales and hills, When all at once I saw a crowd, A host, of golden daffodils…………… OK, I think I am starting to lose it now. Anto, any houses going cheap in Greece?

Clear skies (if ever)
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 3 months ago #47481 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Anyone got clear sky today!?!
A very brief avi of part of the event with more cloud than Venus

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 3 months ago #47482 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Anyone got clear sky today!?!

At The Cloud Appreciation Society we love clouds, we’re not ashamed to say it and we’ve had enough of people moaning about them. And see how we are fighting the banality of ‘blue-sky thinking’. If you agree with what we stand for, then join the society for a minimal postage and administration fee and receive your very own official membership certificate and badge.
www.cloudappreciationsociety.org/

The creators of that hardly have the names Martin and Conor? ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds