K-Tec

Hosting services

More
17 years 2 months ago #48507 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Hosting services
If you're looking for somewhere Irish then your best bet is Hosting365. If you don't care then I can recommend iweb8.com (based in Canada). I'm not a fan of GoDaddy.com. You get very little 'out of the box' and they then constantly pimp things at you which you have to pay extra for that really should be included. I don't like having to hunt for my real content between their ads, it annoys me, so I use them as little as I can.

Personally I like supporting Irish companies and I like having a freephone number I can ring during Irish business hours. So, for those reason I have a re-seller account with Hosting365. I'm also instigating re-selling iWeb8.com accounts but I haven't made up my mind on that yet. I'm experimenting with it at the moment. Their individual accounts look good, their dedicated servers excellent but their reseller control panel is causing me some trouble and may be the reason I decide not to keep that account.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Frank Ryan
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 2 months ago #48508 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Hosting services
Thanks y'all.
Hosting365 looks grand.
A few Euros a month for 1000MB & all the rest they offer seems pretty good to me.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 2 months ago #48510 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: Hosting services

Do they provide joomla etc. as part of the package?

Just wondering as one thing that can get annoying is updating your own software.

The host offers the "Fantastico" package which monitors the latest versions of the software you've installed and with the click of a button you can perform complicated updates very easy, it includes a full list of web apps (I can PM you the full list if you want or you can check on the web). WARNING - have a back made before you upgrade, Murphy's law will bite you on the arse if you don't :shock:

I wasn't too impressed with the back-end of Hosting 365 but that was 2 years ago. Either way if your going through Bart I'm sure you'll have no problems with tech support.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 2 months ago #48511 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Hosting services
Frank,

I highly recommend Bart's services. I use Bart as do some of my web clients. I cannot fault the combo of Bart/H365.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 2 months ago #48512 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Hosting services
I've been a GoDaddy user for 3 years and have had no issues, though some claim exagerrated instances of advertising when you're on their site. They just have more to offer. Hands-down have provided me a better service than 1 site I had with a H365 reseller, only for one year - gave me more problems with accessibility and down-time in that year than in any of the other sites I have hosted with GoDaddy in the 3 years put together. They do 'pimp' a lot of add-ons, but most of them are free. They are American based, so you would expect larger-sized font dollar signs alright! ;)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DaveGrennan
More
17 years 2 months ago #48513 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Hosting services

Do they provide joomla etc. as part of the package?

I wouldn't worry about whether Joomla is preinstalled or not. Setup of Joomla is nothing more than upload and running the install script. As long as you got php and MySql access your pretty much sorted.

Certainly I've never had any problems setting up Joomla on H365.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds