K-Tec

Huge beam of light in south Dublin

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #50536 by budz
Hi all,
does anyone know what that beam of white light visible in south Dublin skies at night is? It's quite strong and goes up quite a distance.
I live near Leopardstown racecourse and it looks to be coming from there (directly North from my location). My sister who lives in Coolock said it was south from her location. I haven't seen it the last few nights as I wasn't looking.
I was driving down the M50 last week at about 1am and could see it from miles away, I "overtook" it as I passed Leopardstown.
Curiosity is really getting the better of me, I almost went out searching last week...

Anyone????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50537 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin
Possibly the Three Rock Hockey / sports Club - I know they used to be big culprets for light polution... the varmints!

Phil.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50538 by budz
Replied by budz on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin

Possibly the Three Rock Hockey / sports Club - I know they used to be big culprets for light polution... the varmints!

Phil.

Interesting possibility, Three rock mountain is west from my house and only visible from the front of the house whereas the light is directly north and only visible from the back of the house. Do you know exactly where that club is? Would it be all the way down in the Leopardstown area?

This light has provoked intense curiosity in me!

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50539 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin
I've seen what I presume to be the same beam from Maynooth, needless to say it was east of me :)

Who ever it is they are grade-A ass-hats. In this day and age there is no possible justification for wasting so much energy appart from down right ignorance.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50540 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin
I live in Dundrum and the beam appears in the south east.

That would put leopardstown in the frame.

The next time I see it I'll dig out a compass and get a bearing. If others do likewise we can triangulate.

Michael.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50541 by budz
Replied by budz on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin

I live in Dundrum and the beam appears in the south east.

That would put leopardstown in the frame.

The next time I see it I'll dig out a compass and get a bearing. If others do likewise we can triangulate.

Michael.

That's a fantastic idea, I'm up for that.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds