K-Tec

Huge beam of light in south Dublin

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50542 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin

I live in Dundrum and the beam appears in the south east.

That would put leopardstown in the frame.

The next time I see it I'll dig out a compass and get a bearing. If others do likewise we can triangulate.

Michael.

I'm game too.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50548 by Keenan
Replied by Keenan on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin
Um, pardon my newbieness but why not just drive towards it, and keep doing so until the source is right in your headlights? Then keep going right out the other side? :evil:

Seriously, it can't be legal to pollute the sky any more than it is legal to pollute the ground, can it? Don't people neeed permission to install something like that?

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50550 by budz
Replied by budz on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin
Hi Keenan,
I would drive towards the light only there's a huge wall in my way and I'm not that good a climber.
From where I am, it appears to be coming from Leopardstown racecourse. As much as curiosity is eating away at me, it's just not worth a possible injury and/or arrest.
I was hoping someone here might know the source and put my poor mind at ease.

There have been light demonstrations similar to this one in the past and the racecourse people are always letting off fireworks too. I'm sure permission was obtained for this as it would affect air traffic if they were unaware of it.

Regards
Budz

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50558 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Huge beam of light in south Dublin

Um, pardon my newbieness but why not just drive towards it, and keep doing so until the source is right in your headlights? Then keep going right out the other side? :evil:

Seriously, it can't be legal to pollute the sky any more than it is legal to pollute the ground, can it? Don't people neeed permission to install something like that?

Keenan,

You're missing the point, It's much more fun to play with maps and compasses than to actually get in a car and go and find the thing :D

Michael.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50565 by Keenan

Keenan,

You're missing the point, It's much more fun to play with maps and compasses than to actually get in a car and go and find the thing :D

Michael.

Well that is certainly true - though posting here asking what it is would really take the fun out of it if someone knew.

As it sounds like the wall is too long to drive around, too hard to drive through and too high to see over, I guess we'll never know where it is.

Tell us more about the wall Budz - that sounds much more interesting. :wink:

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #50566 by Keenan

Who ever it is they are grade-A ass-hats. In this day and age there is no possible justification for wasting so much energy appart from down right ignorance.

For several lovely clear nights last winter, we had a similar problem. On the third night, since I couldn't stargaze I set off (walking) to see where it was coming from. It turned out to be a 'laser' light show outside a hotel which was running a disco.

Needless to say, none of the patrons for whose benefit this abomination was laid on were outside enjoying the spectacle. I got close enough to see that the equipment was on hire from some outfit in Dublin.

I did think about complaining, either to the hotel management or to the council but couldn't convince myself that I wouldn't sound like a nut. I left, secure in the knowledge that the hotel didn't own the equipment and it probably wouldn't be there for long.

Haven't seen it since.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds