K-Tec

What can you expect at the Whirlpool Starparty??

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 1 week ago #50742 by Keith g
Hi, I've never been to the Whirlpool, so I am just posting this to ask what is it like - what can you expect? Do you pay to go to an observing session - or are they free? Will there be many people there because I would like to bring a lot of gear and finally meet up with a lot of you guys !

I know it starts on Froday night October 5th this year, right?

Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #50748 by Frank Ryan
Right!

People start to register on the Friday night at the hotel.
The observing is held in the castle grounds.
Entry to the grounds and science museum is covered in your Whirlpool ticket.

Generally people just turn up with their scopes and set up.
Feel free to bring as much gear as you can handle!
I plan on bringing my scope and I'm pretty sure some of the
rest of the lads will be bringing theiers (I think (hope) Dave will be
bringing the Obsessionator!)

Weather permitting observing is planned for Friday night and
Saturday night after the Whirlpool dinner.

If the weather is bad on the Saturday we will run a table quiz.

You can check out more here:
www.shannonsideastronomy.com/the_whirlpool_starparty.htm

If you are interested in bringing along some of your photos and having them displayed (this goes for all attending) then check out this:
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic....;highlight=whirlpool

My first Whirlpool was last year and it was very good I must say.
I did however find it a bit daunting bieng there on my own
(I was barely in the club at that stage and I didn't really know the lads)
I did meet a few people and only later on did I realize they were
people who post here.
So this year we are leaving blank name tag stickers on the table where
you get your ticket so at least we have some chance of recognizing each other.

I also regretted not attending the dinner.
I guess I felt awkward to be sitting there on my own but
let me say, now that I know what it's all about don't let that put you
off.
They are a nice bunch I promise (especially if you ply them with plenty of vino! :wink: )

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 1 week ago #50750 by dave_lillis

Do you pay to go to an observing session - or are they free?

Yes, they are free.

Will there be many people there because I would like to bring a lot of gear and finally meet up with a lot of you guys !

Bring as much equipment as you like. Its funny really, I remember one year there were alot of dobs, another year where everyone had a refractor, another year again a number of guys had CCD setups.
We would like as many people as possible to bring as much equipment as possible, it gives the observing sessions a great atmosphere.

I'd like others here on the site to give their opinions, its not worth alot when 2 people from the organising club give it a good review. :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 1 week ago #50753 by mia
It's gonna be my first time at a SP as well, I was gonna bring the 105 and all the paraphenalia but my car's tiny (I usually observe from my garden!) so I was wondering if I don't bring it, are youze willing to let other people look through your scopes?

I know Kieran's bringing the 16" once he commissions a Chinook for transporting it and Neil is bringing one of his apo's, is it worth my while bringing my tiny wee 105 (which I DO love BTW!) if all these better scopes are there?
Neil warned me I'll be kicking myself if I don't bring it and the skies are clear!

Any advice? I can bring more make up if I don't bring the scope! :wink:

More
17 years 1 week ago #50757 by stepryan

Hi, I've never been to the Whirlpool, so I am just posting this to ask what is it like - what can you expect? Do you pay to go to an observing session - or are they free? Will there be many people there because I would like to bring a lot of gear and finally meet up with a lot of you guys !

I know it starts on Froday night October 5th this year, right?

Keith..

keith,
usually there is at least one clear night at WSP every year, sometimes 2. observing is from the castle grounds beside the levathian starting about 10pm. it is quite dark there about mag 6 so you can see the milky way M31 etc with the naked eye. probably about 30 or 40 people will turn up on the first night. most of these will observe and bring along a variety of scopes and binoculars. depending on the weather observing can go on until 1 or 2 in the morning. it is good to get a look through a variety of scopes from binoculars and small refractors up to 20" dobs. on saturday night there is usually alot more people out observing after dinner.

as for the rest of the weekend the lectures are usually very good, it is hard to think of a really bad one and i have only missed one or two weekends over the last 10 years. you will meet alot of the people on here there as they usually make up the hard core of the WSP weekend, there are at least a few people from every club in ireland, some from england and further abroad. there are alot of people to talk to and various people bring along there own equipment or stands to display. usually there are one or two companies selling equipment, sometimes people are selling off some of their gear so there can be a few bargins to be had. on the saturday night before observing there is an informal dinner and sometimes a small talk after it. at this the lecturers are divided around the table so they get to mingle with the people who are attending and usually some interesting discussions develop. if you go you will not regret it, at least i have not and i have been going for at least the last 10 years.

More
17 years 1 week ago #50758 by albertw
Well you turn up on the Friday and bok into yout B&B or Hotel. Then since you get down so late the restaurants are closed so you wander into the hotel bar to meet other astronomers and if not get food then at least get a pint. The first question you will be asked is 'is it clear out?'. If your answer is anything other than a firm 'No' you can expect everyone to go out into the square and have a big discussion on whether its clear enough or not. I've never got beyond the car park on the Friday night, often not beyond the bar.

Saturday Morning starts with breakfast in the venue. Even if you are staying in a B&B you seem to end up there having breakfast. Then its into the hall for the opening and talks. At lunchtime the hotel staff panic as everyone orders lunch at the same time. After lunch most people wander over to the Demense to see the Leviathon. Added bonuses include watching Terry climb down into the tube to report on the state of the mirror. Its worth taking in a tour of the exhibits and gardens also.

Then back for more talks.

Then dinner. This is always worth attending as you will end up at a table of people you didnt expect to and end up chatting about the strangest of things. Sometimes even astronomical conversation! Not sure of the schedule this year, but the after dinner speaker if there is one is usually entertaining. If its John Mason you should get a comfortable seat!

During the dinner and talk you will notice people nipping outside, even the non smokers. This is to go out to the square to check the skies. Going by previous years there will be observing if its anything other than completely overcast. If its clouded out then there is a quiz.

I don't bring anything observing in Birr. I just wander around chatting to people about their scopes and looking through them. I'm the exception though I think, most people seem to bring their scopes and there is a great exchange of information. In that regard its better for new people to bring their scopes, you can get plenty of advice on how to set it up, what eyepieces to use, and practical tutorials on collimation for example. For the more experienced its an opportunity to try different equipment and compare eyepieces etc. The observing takes place just beside the Leviathon, its worth the experience just to observe there. You never know who you'll bump into - a couple of years back I got talking to some yank and after talking for about 20 minutes asked him if he got to observe much, at that point he introduced himself as David Levy :-) It's all very informal and friendly.

Sunday starts a bit late as people are getting an extra bit of sleep after the nights observing. Allegedly, the real reason is that there is an IFAS meeting going on.

After another fully day of talks people scarper to beat the traffic home!

In the hall there are also dealers and posters of peoples work.

The whole weekend costs €55, The dinner is an extra €38. Good value for the starparty, a bit steep for the dinner imo.

I wont be there this year unfortunately as it clashes with the dark sky symposium in Slovenia, but I'll be thinking of you all :-)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds