K-Tec

What can you expect at the Whirlpool Starparty??

More
17 years 1 week ago #50761 by stepryan

It's gonna be my first time at a SP as well, I was gonna bring the 105 and all the paraphenalia but my car's tiny (I usually observe from my garden!) so I was wondering if I don't bring it, are youze willing to let other people look through your scopes?

I know Kieran's bringing the 16" once he commissions a Chinook for transporting it and Neil is bringing one of his apo's, is it worth my while bringing my tiny wee 105 (which I DO love BTW!) if all these better scopes are there?
Neil warned me I'll be kicking myself if I don't bring it and the skies are clear!

Any advice? I can bring more make up if I don't bring the scope! :wink:

i don't know how useful makeup is when observing unless it is some form of "commando observing" and you are trying to hide from the garda ;). depending on who turns up there maybe 1 scope in the 20" range. most tend to be in the 6" to 8" range based on previous expirence. there is normally at least one of the nights clear and the limiting mag is about 6 so the wee 105 should have a good few things to see. people are more than willing to let others to look through their scopes. you will probably kick yourself if you do not come at least with some optical aid as the sky is quite dark even being so close to the center of birr and usually a great observing session is had by all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #50762 by albertw
Just noticed this image on the WSP site:

anyone have the image from a couple of years back with the leviathon bathed in green laser pointer light?

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 1 week ago #50763 by mia

i don't know how useful makeup is when observing unless it is some form of "commando observing" and you are trying to hide from the garda ;)

Sorry I was being a bit flippant and being a girl! Believe me, there's not enough make up in the world for me! :wink:

I find though when I go to any of the EAAS obs sessions I end up looking through everyone else's scopes which then inspires me to look for these objects in my own dark clear skies! I also see Albert's point, I spend a lot of time walking round talking to people at our OBS and find I rarely use my own scope.

(Bins are a different matter! I carry them everywhere!)

I can't wait! I'm so looking forward to Sue French's talk!

More
17 years 1 week ago #50765 by Frank Ryan

Not sure of the schedule this year, but the after dinner speaker if there is one is usually entertaining.

This year it will be Sue French from Sky & Telescope.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 1 week ago #50767 by phoenix

I know Kieran's bringing the 16" once he commissions a Chinook for transporting it

Sorry Mia,

The 16" is staying at home (all chinooks busy moving gear out of Ballykinlair) besides Michael should have his finished by then if hes not too tired after Italy :D .

Just bringing the 80 and 66 plus the digital camera so your 105 will also be on loan to me :wink:

The line up looks great. Roll on October and clear skies.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 1 week ago #50768 by dave_lillis
Guys and Gals,
I would really advise you to bring your scope along, the night is long, do not be put off by people having bigger scopes then what you've got, you cant spend the entire night looking through someone else's scope, don't get me wrong, the vast majority of people are very generous and offer their scope freely to anyone who wants to look through it, there is usually at least 3 18-20 inch class scopes there every year.

If you don't bring your scope you miss out a little IMHO, but I always try and get a little chatting in also.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds