K-Tec

So Winter's coming, and some observing. Hot drink anyone?

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 11 months ago #51490 by Seanie_Morris
I am curious. I have read articles since I was a gossen about how to prep yourself for those chilly Winter nights observing outdoors. I think after the summer we've had, I'm counting on it being that cold anyway.

One thing I remember was that a no-no for filling a flask with a hot beverage when out in the field was alcohol (cool article in S&T, sometime in 1993). Yet, I hear that hot cider (not boiled) with extra sugar is good. You see, alcohol (and also smoking) restricts the blood flow to the extremities, so you get colder, quicker.

Anyway, enough with the science lesson. When you're out observing and you bring out some basics to keep your self comfortable, what do you choose?

Me? Can't beat hot soup like chicken noodle. Just fill up a 1 litre thermos with a standard (850ml) sachet and hot water, and yum-yum. I don't eat any food mind you, unless it's an all-nighter, when it's chicken or ham sandwiches. Usually an all nighter will be accompanied with a second flask of tea to wash away the thirst after the sambos. All with my bare hands so that the crumbs and splashes are rubbed away into my jacket (;)). Never use anything greasy (crisps, most biscuits, chocolate bars etc), because the last thing you want are finger prints all over your equipment.

Maybe you don't need a hot drink and can get away with just freezing your perverbials off. Perhaps you also have some tips for the rest of us?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #51492 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
It's all about keeping warm, this is when you are comfortable, I sometimes use a thermal vest in wintertime when it is genuinely cold, it may sound extreme in itself, but I love it when it's on, you think you have a warm shield 8-) around you.

One misconception about observing on chilly nights is to wear loads of thick jumpers - NO! -wear layers of light clothing - I wear the thermal vest under a t-shirt under a shirt under one of those insulated armless jackets you can get in Dunnes stores for 20 euro, there's nothing what seems to be feathers inside. Over all that I have my black guinness jacket - without the guinness !! :P

I also have my thermos with tea, and chocy biscuits - can't resist...

Here are some tips from my variable star buddies for keeping warm since they live in Canada!! :shock:
COLD WEATHER OBSERVING
By Mike Simonsen SXN

When winter arrives in the Midwest it is rarely subtle. Suddenly, sometimes overnight, we have to deal with snow on the ground, below-zero wind-chill, low clouds that never seem to part, and a whole new set of rules for survival.

Here are some rules I have learned, observing from Michigan in temperatures down to -40C.

1- Wear warm boots. When I meet people new to astronomy, they always want to know what the best telescope is and what accessories to buy. I always tell them, "the most important piece of equipment you will ever buy is warm boots". When it is clear, it is cold. If your feet are cold, you are miserable. If you are miserable, you are done.

2- Wear a hat. Most of the heat in your body escapes through the top of your head like a chimney. Cover your head and retain body heat.

3- Keep your hands warm. Mittens are better than gloves, but they are awkward to use when dealing with focuser knobs, charts, pens, pencils, etc. If you insist on wearing gloves, keep your hands in your pockets as much as you can and out of the wind. If your fingers begin to hurt from the cold, go inside or get in your car and warm them up thoroughly. Frostbite can be very painful.

4- Get out of the wind. Most of the time it's not the air temperature that gets you, it's the wind-chill. Put a building or a hedge or an observatory between you and the wind and you will be able to endure the cold for twice as long. The added bonus of not having the telescope shake will save you time in making estimates.

5- Don't breathe on optics. Breathing on cold glass means instant frost. If you wear a scarf over your face, be sure not to let the warm air you exhale spill out over the top of the scarf and down onto the eyepiece. Set up your finder so you are not breathing on the eyepiece when looking through the finder. On very cold nights I usually have a large patch of frost to scrape off the back of the mirror cell of my SCT, caused by my breathing on the cell while looking through the finder.

6- If you have dew heaters, use them right from the start of your session. They are much better at preventing frosted corrector plates, secondaries, eyepieces and finders than they are at removing frost. A heated box or holder for eyepieces can be a great benefit. If you only switch between a few, keep them in your pockets to stay warm.

7- Keep your pen warm or the ink will freeze. I keep mine tucked behind my ear to keep it warm. I have one of those "astronaut pens". Even that froze at 40 below.

8- Use a plastic flashlight. If you are like most of my friends who read charts and log observations by flashlight, you put the flashlight in your mouth to write. A very cold metal flashlight can be hard to remove from your lip without losing a bit of flesh. I suppose rule 8A would be, "don't lick the telescope!"

9- Take breaks every hour or half hour, depending on the weather, and go warm up. Keep an extra pair of dry socks warming on the dash of your car, or go in and throw a pair in the dryer for a few minutes. It's amazing how a nice toasty pair of socks can change your attitude!

10- Be aware of battery life in cold temperatures. The batteries in your flashlight, telescope, camera, dew heaters, etc., will perform poorly in cold temperatures. Keep warm extras handy.

11- Keep your own personal battery charged. Plenty of rest, a good meal, snacks and hot coffee go a long way towards warding off the inevitable freeze. The search for a thermos that would keep coffee hot in sub-zero temperatures was my 'Holy Grail' for a long time. I finally found one at a camping supply store and it makes all the difference to me.

12- Know your limits. You have to be realistic about how much cold, discomfort or pain you can endure in order to get those last few observations. Don't wait until it's too late and then decide to tear down and pack up. That's when you will meet Mr. Frostbite.

With a little planning and common sense you can take advantage of those long, clear, cold winter nights. Orion, Gemini and Auriga are calling. Just be careful out there.

Keith..

More
16 years 11 months ago #51497 by dogstar
Warm boots are a defo and a good idea is to stand on something insulating i use an old rubber door mat. ps: as for Seanie now there's a man who knows how to look after himself :D good stuf mate i like your style don't forget some brown sauce on those chicken sambo's they can be a bit dry :lol:

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

More
16 years 11 months ago #51498 by ayiomamitis
We have a state of emergency when the temperature nears 10d C ... :mrgreen:

The price of oil is $84 per barrel ... again, we are fortunate in this regard due to the double buffer (strength of the euro and our mild winters).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 11 months ago #51507 by philiplardner

I am curious. I have read articles since I was a gossen about how to prep yourself for those chilly Winter nights observing outdoors. I think after the summer we've had, I'm counting on it being that cold anyway.

One thing I remember was that a no-no for filling a flask with a hot beverage when out in the field was alcohol (cool article in S&T, sometime in 1993). Yet, I hear that hot cider (not boiled) with extra sugar is good. You see, alcohol (and also smoking) restricts the blood flow to the extremities, so you get colder, quicker.

Seanie.

This is great news...

I used to be a firm follower of Capt. Jean Luc Picard of "Tea! Earl Grey... luke warm" fame, but now I'm gonna chuck a bottle of my very own Chateau Fassaroe onto the microwave before I head for the hills. Man, that stuff *really* makes you see stars!!!

DIY cider is the biz!

Phil.

PS - I've just started production on the 2007 vintage!

More
16 years 11 months ago #51511 by Draco
Hot black tea for me. :)

Clothing-wise, nothing beats goose down, wool and fur to keep warm. Dress like it's 30 degrees colder than what the predicted low will be, and move around a bit to keep the blood flowing. Stand on a small piece of padded rug to help keep your feet warmer longer.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds