K-Tec

So Winter's coming, and some observing. Hot drink anyone?

More
16 years 11 months ago #51530 by djones
Replied by djones on topic Remaining vertical in wet grass
As for keeping your feet warm, it may sound simple but have found that the easiest and most effective way to remain dry and warm during clear and cold nights leading to early mornings is to wear two pairs of good quality wollen socks covered with a pair of correctly fitting wellington boots.

Coupled with the usual series of thermal fleeces, wollen caps, scarves and a falsk of hot soup or coffee you'll find far warmer nights as winter closes in!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 11 months ago #51535 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Remaining vertical in wet grass

As for keeping your feet warm

Keeping your extremities warm is definitely the key. I have an oversize pair of lined boots which allows me room for those obligatory two pair of wooly socks. Keep the feet and the head warm and the rest will look after itself.

Just saw something of interest in Maplins today. They have sets of elecrically warmed insoles available for €33. Each insoles uses 3 x AAA batteries and can be cut to size. They also have electrically warmed gloves available for the same price. I have absolutely no idea if these are any good or not.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
16 years 11 months ago #51539 by djones
Powered insoles sounds fantastic but as I'm not following Shackelton to colder climates anytime soon I think, like yourself I'll keep on to the tried and trusted boot/sock combination.

Rgds,

DJ

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds