Buying astrogear on ebay

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 11 months ago #52042 by Keith g
Buying astrogear on ebay was created by Keith g
Hi All, this is slightly off topic, so please forgive me if you deem it so, but I am thinking of buying a rather expensive lens for my camera on ebay, both for use in astronomy, and for general use also.

I'm posting this to ask what's your opinions/experiences on buying from ebay, the reason I ask is that I find that although it can be very good in saving you a lot of money, there still is the perception that ebay can be hit and miss regarding scams etc...I intend to but something that is a lot of money for me, I see that a lot of camera lenses come from hong kong, promising tax fee savings and such.

I looked up a lens yesterday to find it was located in Ireland, then doing some more digging, the lens is actually in hong kong. A little alarm bell is ringing.

Am I too mistrusting or is it worth a bet...I intend to spend about 1100 Euro :?

Thanks,
Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #52044 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Buying astrogear on ebay

I looked up a lens yesterday to find it was located in Ireland, then doing some more digging, the lens is actually in hong kong. A little alarm bell is ringing.

Am I too mistrusting or is it worth a bet...I intend to spend about 1100 Euro :?

Thanks,
Keith..

If it were me Keith, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on ebay, especially if the ad stated it was in Ireland yet it's actually in Hong Kong. What you think you're saving would probably be eaten up by the customs man upon delivery of the item, especially if it's couriered.
Just my 2cent.

More
16 years 11 months ago #52045 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Buying astrogear on ebay
I would agree with michael

I would only spend small amounts on ebay.

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 11 months ago #52046 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Buying astrogear on ebay
Hi Keith,

Hope all is well and I see you are getting some nice pics of different celestial sights :)

I found that too about eBay where the lens is supposedly in Ireland. What is actually happening is that it probably is (or else in the UK) but the dealer's company is registered in Hong Kong. In that case you will be hit for the VAT and Duty because the dealer is not registered for VAT over here.

I bought my 350D package off a company in the UK and they were very good. They generally sell used or demo gear and their eBay id is Harbour48. They gave me a phone number to ring and their people are very obliging.

Another option is to go through one of the dealers listed in the camera magazines. I sometimes have a look at www.ffordes.com as they get in used equipment quite a bit.

I know that going the HK route might save a few quid but it's probably going to cost you more in the long run after customs open up the package (sometimes the HK dealers charge €50+ for shipping). You might find equipment through one of the German eBay photographic dealers as they can be cheap too.

atb,

John

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 11 months ago #52048 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic ReL
Thanks lads for your quick replies, I think that I will give ebay a miss, I have seen that you can buy what you want from the uk, it still works out cheaper as the lens here in Ireland is just way too much.

Would you be hit on buying from the uk?

Keith..

More
16 years 11 months ago #52049 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Buying astrogear on ebay
Hi Keith,

No ... you will not pay anything to customs as you are paying VAT in the UK when you buy from the dealer there. My 350D was delivered in 3 pieces (well, not the camera :lol: ) -- the packages comprised the camera itself, a tripod, camera bag, spare card, cleaning kit, 200mm lens along with the standard 18-55mm, and a few other bits and pieces. No problem getting all three delivered via Royal Mail/ParcelForce.

atb,

John

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds